Avalanche slips past K-Tribe
Published in Sports on May 24, 2007 1:47 PM
SALEM, Va. -- Catcher Justin Tellam provided a bases-loaded, walk-off double in the ninth inning and Salem nipped Kinston 5-4 in Carolina League play.
Mark Ori started the Avalanche ninth with a single. Mitch Einertson drew a walk from Kinston hurler Jeff Stevens. After a strikeout, Stevens walked Eli Iorg to load the bases.
Scott Roehl relieved Stevens and yielded the game-winning hit to Tellam. Stevens picked up his first loss of the season in four decisions. Meanwhile, Ryan McKeller (4-1) threw one inning of relief and picked up the win for the Avalanche.
The K-Tribe scored all of their runs in the fifth inning on RBI doubles from Michael Aubrey, Stephen Head and Niumen Romero. Kinston banged out five hits and sent 10 men to the plate in the fifth.
Kinston has tallied 10 or more hits in seven consecutive games.
The K-Tribe begins a seven-day, nine-game schedule at home today against Winston-Salem. The doubleheader begins at 5 p.m. and Sung-Wei Tseng is scheduled to pitch for Kinston.
The teams will play another twinbill on Friday and Saturday.
Winston-Salem is currently four games behind Kinston in the CL's Southern Division.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series