Mudcats fall to Barons
Published in Sports on May 24, 2007 1:47 PM
ZEBULON -- Adam Russell tossed 62/3 solid innings and Thomas Collaro homered as visiting Birmingham edged Carolina, 5-3, on Wednesday evening at Five County Stadium.
Russell (5-3) surrendered three runs -- two earned -- on five hits while striking out four without issuing a walk. The 24-year-old right-hander has given up only three earned runs over his last 132/3 innings since allowing eight runs -- seven earned -- in four innings against Mississippi on May 13.
Fernando Hernandez Jr. gave up a hit and struck out three in 11/3 scoreless frames before Oneli Perez earned his third save with a scoreless ninth. He gave up a hit and fanned one.
Collaro's team-leading 10th homer gave the Barons (21-26) a 5-3 lead in the seventh. The 24-year-old right fielder is 6-for-12 with two homers and five RBIs over his last three games.
Sean Smith ripped a go-ahead single in the sixth, while Jason Bourgeois and Robert Valido each knocked in a run for Birmingham.
Brad McCann and Jose Campusano slugged solo homers for the Mudcats (17-30), who have lost six of their last seven.
Carolina starter Gaby Hernandez (2-5) yielded four runs -- three earned -- on nine hits while fanning three and walking two in 51/3 innings.
-- From press release
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series