Mudcats walks off against Chattanooga
Published in Sports on June 14, 2007 1:48 PM
ZEBULON -- Brett Hayes delivered the game-winning, walk-off single in the ninth inning and Carolina rallied past Chattanooga 5-4 at Five County Stadium on Wednesday evening.
Second baseman Eric Riggs blasted a solo home run to put the Mudcats ahead 4-3. The Lookouts, the Double-A affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds, forged a 4-4 tie until the ninth.
Down to the final out, Hayes played Ryan Bear for the game-ending run.
Major League hurler Josh Johnson earned a no-decision in a four-plus inning stint for Carolina. He allowed four hits and fanned seven.
Blake McGinley threw 11/3 innings in relief for the win.
Arizona graduate Richie Gardner, the Reds' minor league player of the year, picked up a no-decision in a seven-inning outing for Chattanooga.
Carolina puts its four-game win streak on the line today against the Lookouts. Gaby Hernandez (3-6, 4.37 ERA) will oppose Chattanooga left-hander Camilo Vazquez (3-6, 4.59) on the mound.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series