K-Tribe edges Keys
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on June 28, 2007 1:47 PM
FREDERICK, Md. -- Mike Finocchi provided two-plus innings of one-hit relief and Kinston edged Carolina League rival Frederick 3-2 on Wednesday evening.
Finocchi took over for K-Tribe starter Kevin Dixon, who encountered trouble in the sixth inning. The right-hander notched an inning-ending strikeout, which stranded two Frederick base runners. Dixon (5-3) worked five-plus innings and collected his fourth victory in his last five starts.
Matt Meyer cleaned up in the ninth for his second save.
Trailing 2-0, Josh Rodriguez ignited a third-inning rally with a one-out single. Chris De La Cruz doubled to put Rodriguez in scoring position. Rodriguez crossed home when Keys starter and losing pitcher Carlos Perez (5-7) unleashed a wild pitch.
Stephen Head knotted the contest at 2-2 with a sacrifice fly, which scored De La Cruz. Max Ramirez later provided a two-RBI double, which brought home Chris Gimenez for the 3-2 finale.
Wes Hodges emerged the K-Tribe's offensive leader with two hits in four at-bats.
Kinston, the first-half Southern Division champion, continues its three-game series at Frederick today. Sung-Wei Tseng is scheduled to start for the K-Tribe.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series