Babe Ruth - Wayne County falls to West Raleigh
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on July 23, 2007 1:47 PM
FARMVILLE -- Wayne County couldn't overcome mental and physical miscues in a 10-3 elimination-round loss against West Raleigh in the Eastern N.C. Babe Ruth 13 state tournament on Sunday afternoon.
Zach Grantham doubled in a 2-for-2 effort and Keenan Winn added two hits for Wayne County, which finished 2-2 in the double-elimination event. Benito Avila, Chris Nichols and Jeff Davis contributed one hit apiece.
Ian Speight took the mound loss.
"We pitched well enough to win," said Wayne County coach Rick Grantham. "We made some defensive mistakes and some mistakes that put us in a hole early in the game. We didn't hit enough to hit our way out of the deficit.
"But, we are very proud of our young men. They represented Wayne County with class."
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series