Late homer dooms K-Tribe
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on July 31, 2007 1:48 PM
KINSTON -- Quentin Davis smacked a game-winning, ninth-inning home run as Myrtle Beach clipped Kinston 5-4 in a battle of Carolina League Southern Division rivals on Monday evening.
The Pelicans (21-16) pulled within a game of the K-Tribe, which dipped to 21-14 overall in second-half play. The teams continue their three-game series today.
Kinston trailed 3-0 after 4 1/2 innings. John Drennen's one-out double ignited a two-run rally and he scored on Armando Camacaro's double. Camacaro trotted home on Mike Butia's single.
Myrtle Beach moved ahead 4-2 in the eighth, but the K-Tribe -- again -- rallied. Pelicans reliever Kevin Gunderson, who blew the save opportunity, hit Stephen Head with two outs. Matt Whitney followed with a two-run homer, his sixth of the season.
Davis' ninth-inning swat spoiled Kinston's comeback party. Erik Stiller (3-3) tossed three-plus innings of four-hit relief and took the mound loss. Chris Niesel pitched to one Myrtle Beach batter in the ninth.
Kinston starter Kevin Dixon had his eight-game win streak snapped with the no-decision. Dixon yielded eight hits and two earned runs in a five-inning stint.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series