By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on July 31, 2007 1:47 PM
PINEHURST -- The father-son tandem of Clarence and Clark Rose emerged victorious in the 41st annual N.C. Father and Son Championship contested at Longleaf Country Club.
The duo fired a tournament-record 64 and won the Pro division by four strokes. They finished runner-up a year ago.
Amateur Golf Tour
WILSON -- Melvin Vernon, who hails from Warsaw, emerged the top finisher in the Flight A division during an Amateur Golf Tour event contested at Happy Valley Country Club.
Vernon carded an even-par 72. Goldsboro's Robert Blair took third with an 81. Fellow Goldsboro golfer Cory Watson ended up third overall in the Flight C division.
The next AGT event is Aug. 11 at Brook Valley CC in Greenville.
Tipton gets ace
Rosewood High alumnus Matt Tipton fired his first-ever hole-in-one while playing at Goldsboro Municipal Golf Course on Sunday afternoon.
Tipton used a pitching wedge to ace the par-3, No. 16 hole which is 149 yards from tee to pin.
Tom Tipton, Jeff Hayden and Craig Sutton witnessed the feat.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series