Local sports schedules
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on August 8, 2007 1:48 PM
Goldsboro Family Y
* Youth soccer -- Deadline to register is Aug. 15 for ages 4-15.
* Flag football -- Registration continues until Aug. 31 for following age groups: 8U, 11U boys and 11U girls.
* Adult-Teen basketball -- Registration will be accepted by team. Ages are 14-17 (teen) and 18-older (adult). The fee is $450 per team with a maximum of 10 players.
For more information on these leagues, telephone Kevin Daniels at 778-8557.
High school tennis
* Rosewood -- Tennis tryouts are Aug. 13 at 4 p.m. You must have an up-to-date physical in order to tryout. For more information contact Debbie Bailey at 705-6050.
Hurricanes 10U softball tryouts
Tryouts for the Wayne County Hurricanes 10U softball team are Thursday at 6:30 p.m. at the Nahunta Softball Complex. For more information, telephone Brent Marriner at 440-2719.
Eastern Wayne cross country
Practice for the Eastern Wayne cross country team begins Aug. 13 at 8 a.m. at the Little Big Horn track. All participants must have a completed physical form on file. All parents are asked to bring rakes and weed-eaters, since it will be a clean-up day. For more information, telephone coach Myers at (252) 566-3732.
High school soccer
Tryouts for the Rosewood High boys' team is Aug. 15 at 6:30 p.m. at Branch Pope Field. A completed physical form must be on file to participate in practice.
Mount Olive youth football
Registration is ongoing for the Mount Olive Hurricanes 8U, 10U and 12U tackle football teams. Players may pre-register by telephoning Alex Ferrell at 658-2025 or 658-2971, or Mount Olive Police Chief Ralph Schroeder at 658-5031, ext. 101. The first practice/orientation will be Thursday at 6 p.m. at the Southern Academy field.
Goldsboro Parks & Rec
* Flag football league -- Registration continues until Aug. 31. Anyone interested in participating can register at the GPRD office on East Ash Street from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. each day. For more information, telephone Jeff Winbush at 739-7488.
Wayne County Boys & Girls Club
* Tackle football -- Registration ends Friday and is open for three age groups -- 8U, 10U and 12U. The fee is $50 for members and $60 for non-members.
* Soccer -- Registration ends Friday and is open for boys and girls ages 6-15. The fee is $50 for members and $60 for non-members.
For more information, telephone Jeff Barnes at 735-2358.
Farfour Memorial tournament
The annual John Allen Farfour Memorial City Championships are Aug. 10-12 at Herman Park. Divisions are men's and women's singles and doubles (A,B divisions); and boys and girls' singles for ages 10-18. For more information, telephone Alan or Cynthia Cuddington at 736-9133.
A tennis camp is scheduled from Aug. 13-16 for players in first thru 12th grade. The camp runs each day from 9 a.m. until noon. For more information, telephone Alan or Cynthia Cuddington at 736-9133.
Rosewood fall youth sports registration
Registration for Rosewood youth sports fall soccer, baseball and softball will be held every Saturday until Aug. 18. For more information concerning soccer contact TJ Smothers at (919) 922-0095. For more information concerning baseball (ages 7-8) contact Smothers or for player pitch contact Mike Silvani at (919) 538-6694. For more information concerning softball contact Barbara Peterson at (919) 581-8281.
Spring Creek Youth Association
* Fall baseball & softball -- Registration is ongoing for baseball and softball. The age divisions are: Gator Bites (3-4-years old); Junior machine pitch (5-6-years old); Machine pitch (7-8-years old); Player pitch baseball and fast-pitch softball (9-12-years old). For more information, telephone Greg Larimore at 759-0557.
* Soccer -- Registration is ongoing. You do not have to attend Spring Creek schools to play. For more information, telephone Charlotte Reaves at 738-5857.
* Football -- Registration continues for age groups 8U, 10U and 12U. The first practice is Wednesday at 6 p.m. at Spring Creek High School. For more information, telephone Rick Coor at 778-0210.
Northwest Youth Sports fall softball season
Registration for Northwest Youth Sports 8U fall softball will be conducted Aug. 11 from 8 a.m.-10 a.m. at the Northwest Elementary front field. For more information, contact Shay Campbell at 734-4014 or 921-2473.
Northeast fall sports
Registration for Northeast ball sports is Aug. 11 from 10 a.m. until noon at Northeast Elementary School. For more information, telephone Jessie Langley at 242-4101.
ECCA Umpires meeting
An ECCA Umpires meeting for returning and new officials is Aug. 16 at 7 p.m. at the Eastern Carolina Athletic Park. For more information, telephone Donnie King at (919) 922-3557 or visit www.ecaaball.com.
Pirate Club Golf Classic
The 15th annual Pirate Club Golf Classic is Aug. 23 at Walnut Creek Country Club. The registration fee is $75 per player with an entry deadline of Aug. 22. Lunch will be served from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., and play begins at 1 p.m. Individual and team prizes will be awarded. For more information, telephone Norman Edgerton at 734-7710 or email email@example.com; or telephone Johnnie Brown at (919) 921-2732.
Fastpitch softball pitcher's camp
A fastpitch softball pitcher's camp will be held at the Eastern Carolina Athletic Park on Aug. 13-15 from 9 a.m. until noon. The camp is open to the first 12 participants ages 8-12 years old. Cost is $60 for non-members or $50 for ECAP members. A T-shirt is included in the cost. For more information, telephone Tracey Meadows at 922-4318.
Wayne County fall baseball meeting
There will be a final fall ball meeting for all coaches interested in coaching fall baseball this year on August 21 at 7 p.m. at the ECAP in Goldsboro. This meeting has been moved from August 23 due to "open house" for all Wayne County schools. Please have all paperwork ready to be turned in at this meeting. For more information, telephone Donnie King at 922-3557 or Michael King at 919-922-9020 or visit ecaaball.com.
Wayne County Babe Ruth softball
The Wayne County Babe Ruth Softball Association will meet Aug. 13 at 7 p.m. in the board room of Pittard, Perry and Crone in Goldsboro. Plans will be finalized for the fall softball season. All interested parties are invited to attend. For more information, telephone Leigh Tillman at 222-6169.
Norwayne fall sports
* Football -- Tryouts begin Aug. 27 right after school until 4:45 p.m. For more information, telephone coach Lance Jernigan at 242-3414.
* Volleyball -- Tryouts begin Aug. 27 right after school until 4:30 p.m. For more information, telephone coach Larry Sasser at 242-4620.
Students must have a current physical on file to participate.
EWMS fall sports
* Soccer -- Tryouts begin Aug. 22 after school.
* Volleyball -- Tryouts are Aug. 23-24 and 27 from 2:30-4:30 p.m.
* Football -- Practice begins Aug. 20 at 3 p.m. Students who are going to try out should contact coach Johnson as soon as possible at 751-2535.
All participants must have a physical on file to practice.
Carolina Lookouts softball
The Carolina Lookouts 12U fast-pitch softball team is conducting tryouts every weekend in August at various locations. Prospective players must be born no earlier than 1995. For more information, telephone Greg Bissette at (252) 883-0430.
Brogden Middle School football
Tryouts for the Brogden Middle School football team are Aug. 23-24 from 3-5 p.m. Players must have a current physical on file to participate. For more information, telephone 658-3624.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series