K-Tribe take three of four from Pelicans
Published in Sports on August 10, 2007 1:48 PM
MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. -- Josh Rodriguez and Matt Whitney each slugged a home run as Kinston upended Myrtle Beach 6-4 on Thursday evening.
Whitney ripped a three-run shot in the first inning with Jose Constanza and Rodriguez aboard. It was Whitney's third homer in as many games and ninth of the season. In the third inning, Rodriguez cranked a round-tripper for the fourth straight outing and boosted his season total to 16. He has recorded an RBI in seven consecutive game.
After Rodriguez's homer, Whitney singled and Chris Gimenez doubled. Whitney scored on Wes Hodges' sacrifice fly and Gimenez trotted home on John Drennen's sacrifice fly.
K-Tribe starter Jim Deters (9-3) worked five innings and gave up just three hits. Deters lowered his ERA to 2.01. Matt Myers provided two innings of two-strikeout, no-hit relief. Neil Wagner pitched into the ninth and Scott Roehl notched his Carolina League-leading 20th save of the season.
Tommy Hanson (2-2) took the loss for Myrtle Beach.
Kinston, which took three of four from the Pelicans, begins a weekend series today at Lynchburg. Erik Stiller is scheduled to start the opener, which begins at 7 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series