McKinley strong for Mudcats
Published in Sports on August 13, 2007 1:48 PM
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Blake McGinley tossed six shutout innings and Carolina turned back Jacksonville 4-3 at the Baseball Grounds on Sunday afternoon.
McGinley (6-7) permitted just two hits and a walk as the Mudcats handed the Suns their third consecutive loss. With 20 games remaining in second-half play, Carolina improved to 25-25 overall.
Eric Riggs' two-out, third-inning single broke a scoreless tie. Ryan Bear's bases-loaded, opposite-field single accounted for two fourth-inning runs, which sent Jacksonville starter Alvis Ojeda (4-6) to the showers.
McGinley followed with a safety-squeeze RBI bunt, which scored Jai Miller.
Brandon Villafuerte provided two innings of four-strikeout relief behind McGinley. Chris Mobley, who surrendered a three-run homer in the ninth, finished off the non-save situation with a game-ending groundout.
Carolina is off today and begins a home series Tuesday against Mississippi. Game time is 7:15 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series