Mississippi blanks Mudcats
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on August 16, 2007 1:48 PM
ZEBULON -- Starter Ryan Baerlocher and reliever Wes Wilkerson combined for a six-hitter as Mississippi blanked Carolina 6-0 at Five County Stadium on Wednesday evening.
Baerlocher, in his fourth Double AA start of the year, scattered five hits over eight innings to lower his earned run average from 7.47 to 4.94. He benefited from a three-run, third-inning outburst.
Wilkerson threw a scoreless ninth to give the Braves just their 17th win in second-half play this season. The Mudcats dropped to 25-27 and continue the series today at 7:15 p.m.
Braves third baseman Van Pope started the third inning with a lead-off double and trotted home on J.C. Holt's single. Mississippi scored two additional runs and added three fourth-inning runs, including a two-RBI double by T.J. Bohn.
Grant Psomas led Carolina with two hits.
The Mudcats' Ricky Nolasco lasted just three innings and allowed two hits in a Major League rehab start. Ben Julianel surrendered two fifth-inning runs. Chris Mobley, Jesus Delgado and Brandon Villafuerte combined for four innings of shutout relief.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series