By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on August 23, 2007 1:48 PM
Senior outside hitter Brittani Billups pounded out 15 kills and recorded 31/2 blocks in Eastern Wayne's 25-22, 25-8, 25-23 non-conference shelling of Havelock.
Billups also provided seven digs and five service aces in the straight-set win. Jordei Osby contributed seven kills, one ace and 21/2 blocks. Alysa Artis added three kills.
Anna Hajjar supplied five kills and three aces.
Setter Brooke Newsome dished out 30 assists, while Brianna Williams emerged the defensive leader with 23 digs.
"We played pretty strong," said Eastern Wayne head coach Bruce Burridge. "We really took them out of their game."
Eastern Wayne (1-0 overall) travels to New Bern on Monday.
Fike runs past Eastern Wayne
Stephen Ewing emerged the top runner and Wilson Fike captured the first four places overall in a 16-47, non-conference triumph over Eastern Wayne on Wednesday afternoon.
Ewing ran the 3.1-mile course in 19 minutes, 3 seconds.
Stefan Henshaw paced Eastern Wayne with a fifth-place time of 20:35. Teammates Colton Butler and Keith Gregorcyk ended up 13th and 14th, respectively.
On the girls' side, the Golden Demons recorded five of the top six times. Laura Hanson won the meet in 20:08.
The Warriors' Sarah Schley claimed fourth in 25:28, while Kelly Gregorcyk took seventh in 26:04. Teammates Shannon Rouse, Sarah Ricker and Leanna Kirkland completed the top 10.
Wilson Fike 16
Eastern Wayne 47
1. Stephen Ewing, Fike 19:03
2. Austin Jones, Fike 19:37
3. Adam Sorenson, Fike 20:18
4. Ryan Yarbrough, Fike 20:28
5. Stefan Henshaw, E. Wayne 20:35
6. Reid Lewis, Fike 21:19
7. Cody Jones, Fike 21:46
8. Calvin Dorviller, Fike 22:04
13. Colton Butler, EW* 24:09
14. Keith Gregorcyk, EW* 24:39
* -- counted toward final score
Wilson Fike 17
Eastern Wayne 38
1. Laura Hanson, Fike 20:08
2. Beth Hanson, Fike 22:18
3. Kate Jabolonski, Fike 22:47
4. Sarah Schley, EW 25:28
5. Brook Worthum, Fike 25:42
6. Rachel Tabb, Fike 25:54
7. Kelly Gregorcyk, EW 26:04
8. Shannon Rouse, EW 27:51
9. Sarah Ricker, EW 28:36
10. Leanna Kirkland, EW 29:57
Records: EW boys 0-1, EW girls 0-1.
Next meet: Aug. 28 at Southern Wayne
Warriors edge Rams
Eastern Wayne dropped the middle set, but turned back Havelock 25-18, 18-25, 26-24 on Wednesday afternoon.
Warriors head coach Bruce Burridge said that Morgan Smith and Andie Macias were the players of the game.
Eastern Wayne visits New Bern on Monday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series