Mudcats edges Huntsville
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on August 23, 2007 1:48 PM
HUNTSVILLE, Ala. -- Gaby Hernandez scattered two hits in an eight-inning stint and Dante Brinkley smacked a two-run homer in Carolina's 3-1 victory over Huntsville at Joe Davis Stadium.
The Mudcats (29-29) claimed their third consecutive win in the series. Hernandez out-dueled 11-game winner Lindsay Gulin as Carolina pulled within four games of the Northern Division leaders with 12 regular-season contests left.
Hernandez (9-9) permitted a first-inning double and held the Stars hitless until Steve Sollman connected on an eighth-inning double.
Brandon Villafuerte tossed a perfect ninth for his second save of the series.
Gulin, a 30-year-old southpaw, gave up a third-inning single to Hernandez. Brinkley swatted Gulin's next pitch inside the left-field pole, giving him five homers in his last 10 outings and 11 overall for the season.
The Mudcats tacked on an insurance run when Eric Riggs stretched a double to a triple, then scored on a two-out wild pitch from Gulin as he walked Lee Mitchell.
The Stars (33-25) had only two hits for the second straight game. Carolina won for the sixth straight time on the road, matching the second-longest streak in club history.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series