K-Tribe falls to Warthogs
Published in Sports on August 29, 2007 1:48 PM
KINSTON -- Kinston's late-season slump continued with a 4-2 loss at Winston-Salem on Tuesday evening.
The K-Tribe, however, still lead Salem by two games in the Southern Division after the Avalanche lost to Northern Division leader Wilmington.
Josh Rodriguez's third-inning RBI and John Drennen's RBI groundout helped Kinston claim a 2-0 lead over Winston-Salem. Beau Mills rapped a fourth-inning double, but the K-Tribe wouldn't get another hit the rest of the game.
Warthog starter Brian Omogrosso (8-8) surrendered four hits and one earned run in six innings. Justin Cassel, Joe Torres and Jon Link combined for three innings of no-hit relief.
Kinston's Erik Stiller (3-6) surrendered six hits and four earned runs in 51/3 innings. Stiller notched a season-high seven strikeouts.
Winston-Salem took control on Stefar Gartrell's two-run homer which barely cleared the wall in left field. The Warthogs, the Double A affiliate of the Chicago White Sox, picked up their 24th win in second-half play.
The teams continue their four-game series today.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series