Mudcats drop doubleheader
Published in Sports on August 29, 2007 1:47 PM
MONTGOMERY, Ala. -- Montgomery claimed a doubleheader against Carolina and extended their franchise-record win streak to 10 games on Tuesday evening.
The Biscuits' 9-1 and 2-1 victories damaged the Mudcats' playoff hopes. Carolina has dropped 13 straight games at Riverwalk Stadium, and saw its elimination number shaved to two with regard to first-place Huntsville.
In the first game, the Biscuits chased off Carolina starting pitcher Gaby Hernandez (9-10) before the first inning ended, scoring nine times on nine hits.
The Mudcats scored their lone run in the fifth against Biscuits starting pitcher Chris Mason on a double by Chase Lambin. Mason won his league-leading 15th game and lowered his league-best ERA to 2.53.
In the nightcap, Blake McGinley (6-9) permitted back-to-back home runs to the first two batters he faced, then shut down the Biscuits the rest of the way, but Carolina could not rally.
The Mudcats had a second and third situation with none out in the third against former N.C. State pitcher Mike Prochaska, but could not score. Rex Rundgren hit an RBI grounder in the fifth to score Carolina's only run.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series