K-Tribe doubles up Warthogs
Published in Sports on August 30, 2007 1:47 PM
WINSTON-SALEM -- Steven Wright scattered four hits in a six-inning stint and Kinston doubled up Winston-Salem 4-2 on Wednesday evening.
Wright (2-2) logged a season-high seven strikeouts and walked one for the K-Tribe, which maintained its two-game lead over Salem in Southern Division play.
The Avalanche grabbed a 1-0 lead, but eventually lost that advantage in the fifth inning. Josh Rodriguez belted his 20th homer of the season, a two-out, two-RBI shot.
Chris Gimenez accounted for Kinston's third run on a Warthog error. Beau Mills supplied the K-Tribe's final run with a seventh-inning, RBI groundout to score Jose Constanza.
Salem threatened in the ninth against Kinston reliever Scott Roehl, who yielded back-to-back singles. Roehl retired the next batter on a sacrifice bunt and then coaxed Warthogs catcher Tyler Reves into a game-ending 6-4-3 double play.
Roehl earned his league-leading 23rd save of the season.
The teams continue their four-game series today.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series