K-Tribe blanks Warthogs
Published in Sports on August 31, 2007 2:47 PM
WINSTON-SALEM -- Kinston pitcher Josh Tomlin permitted three hits in six-plus innings and the bullpen preserved his shutout effort in a 5-0 victory over Winston-Salem on Thursday evening.
Tomlin recorded six strikeouts and logged his 11th decision of the season. Chris Niesel and Matt Meyer mopped up the final 21/3 innings for the K-Tribe, who kept their two-game lead over Salem in Southern Division play.
Javier Castillo collected all four Warthog hits.
Wes Hodges (3-for-5, three RBI) and Jared Goedert accounted for first-inning RBI. Hodges, who nearly hit for the cycle, added a solo homer in the third inning and a seventh-inning, RBI double.
Josh Rodriguez batted 3-for-4 and scored twice. John Drennen provided a solo homer, his 12th of the year, in the sixth inning.
The teams conclude their four-game series today. Kinston (38-28) starts a season-ending, three-game series Saturday at long-time nemesis Myrtle Beach.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series