By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on September 3, 2007 1:47 PM
MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. -- Beau Mills scored on a two-base throwing error in the eighth inning as Kinston edged Myrtle Beach 3-2 on Sunday evening.
Tied at 2-2 and with two outs on the board, Jerad Head hit a routine grounder to Pelicans shortstop Michael Fisher. Fisher unleashed a low throw to first, which allowed Mills to scamper home.
Neil Wagner threw a perfect eighth and Scott Roehl recorded his league-leading 24th save with a one-hit ninth.
The K-Tribe, which clinched the second-half title Saturday, claimed its fifth consecutive win. Kinston (86-52) finishes its regular-season schedule today at Myrtle Beach and opens the Southern Division playoffs at home Wednesday against Salem.
Newcomer Nick Weglarz, called up from Low A Lake County over the weekend, smacked a solo home run in the fifth inning. A Myrtle Beach mishap enabled the K-Tribe to forge the 2-2 tie in the sixth.
Kinston reliever Matt Meyer (3-4) earned the mound win behind starter Sung-Wei Tseng, who surrendered two earned runs in four-plus innings. Meyer permitted one hit in 21/3 innings of work.
Brett Butts (0-1) took the loss for Myrtle Beach.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series