Mudcats win finale
Published in Sports on September 4, 2007 1:49 PM
ZEBULON -- Chase Lambin and Jai Miller each supplied a key third-inning hit as Carolina nipped Tennessee 4-3 in the regular-season finale for both teams Monday afternoon at Five County Stadium.
Lambin belted his 15th homer of the season to break a 2-2 tie. Miller doubled home Grant Psomas to make it 4-2, and retired to the bench with two hits.
Tennessee (37-33) pulled within 4-3 on a fifth-inning Mudcats error. Tyler Colvin reached base on the play, stole second and third, and trotted home ono Alan Rick's sacrifice groundout.
Carolina starter Chris Volstad (4-2) earned the mound win.
The game ended on an outfield assist as Carolina right fielder Ryan Bear fielded a rocket shot off Colvin's bat. Bear hit Lambin as the cutoff as Lambin gunned down Smokies second baseman Nate Spears from shallow right field.
The Mudcats (32-28) concluded the season with a two-game win streak.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series