Catawba gets off to fast start, downs MOC women
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on September 5, 2007 3:03 PM
SALISBURY -- Regionally-ranked Catawba sprinted to a three-goal lead and turned back in-state rival Mount Olive College 4-1 in women's soccer action Tuesday evening.
April Jacobs tallied the Trojans' lone goal in the 73rd minute. Gina Dos Santos and Lyndsay Brennan each recorded an assist on the play.
Brennan played a ball to Dos Santos, who found Jacobs open at the top left of the box. Catawba goalkeeper Chelsea Binder made a diving attempt on Jacobs' shot and got a fingertip on the ball, but the ball rolled into the goal.
Lauren Whitely scored twice for Catawba, ranked No. 9 in the Southeast Region poll. Lainey Nichols contributed a first-half goal and assist, while Andrea Dunshie concluded Catawba's scoring in the 64th minute.
Catawba (2-0-0 overall) owned a 26-9 edge in shots on goal. Mount Olive keeper Ali O'Sheen recorded 12 saves.
Mount Olive (1-3-0) entertains Mountain State (W. Va.) College at 7 p.m. Saturday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series