Chargers, Patriots play to 1-1 draw
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on September 16, 2007 2:18 AM
ROCKY MOUNT -- Sophomore Will Wolf provided Wayne Country Day's lone goal in a 1-1 draw against Faith Christian-Rocky Mount on Friday afternoon.
The Patriots seized a 1-0 lead in the sixth minute.
"It was a misread by the defenders as far as pulling their person offsides, but they allowed him to get a breakaway chance against our goalkeeper," said WCDS head coach Baron Heinemann.
Wolf secured the equalizing goal in the 23rd minute.
As the weather slowly worsened, the teams finished regulation tied at 1-1. The score remained deadlocked after two, 10-minute overtime periods. Officials deemed the match a tie since Faith Christian did not have lights.
"We came out a little sluggish in the first 10 minutes," said Heinemann. "We did not come out organized, but we did turn it on and ended up dominating possession."
Wayne Country Day (4-3-2) exited 1-2-1 against CPIC opposition and returns to action Monday at Rosewood. Kickoff is scheduled for 5 p.m. at Branch Pope Field.
Warriors edge Eagles
VANCEBORO -- Ryan Jones collected the game-winning touchdown in the third quarter as Eastern Wayne rallied past West Craven 14-8.
Jones scored touchdowns on runs of 40 and 15 yards, and finished with 102 yards in the non-conference affair. Backfield mate Jonathan Midgett rambled for a game-high 165 yards.
Quarterback Mac Stover completed 4 of 6 passes for 56 yards and rushed for another 37 yards.
Jack Welsh led the Warrior defense with an interception and fumble recovery. Head coach Jerry Pelt also cited the effort of Trey Brewington, Brandon Williams, Hunter Newsome and Greg Simms.
"The defense, I thought, played a really good second half," said Pelt.
Eastern Wayne (4-0 overall) entertains North Lenoir on Sept. 27.
* Boys' soccer -- Eighth-grade captain Hil Tanner converted a penalty kick in Wayne Country Day's 3-1 loss at Faith Christian-Rocky Mount. The Patriots grabbed a two-goal advantage in the first eight minutes of the Coastal Plains Independent 1-A Conference contest.
* Dillard football 30, Spring Creek 0 -- Dequonta Vann, Tristan Atkinson, Octavious Thompson and Karon Alston each scored a touchdown in Dillard's season-opening win. Dillard (1-0) entertains Greenwood next Thursday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series