Wilson, Ford provide Chargers' goals
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on September 23, 2007 2:16 AM
Goals by David Wilson and Cameron Ford enabled Wayne Country Day to knock off Kerr-Vance Academy 2-0 on Friday evening in Class 1-A Coastal Plains Independent Conference play.
Wilson scored on a header in the 37th minute off a throw-in by Cameron Strickland. Ford later scored in the second half with help from an assist by Matt Wolf.
"Our team was rather tired, but we still managed to pull it off," said Wayne Country Day coach Baron Heinemann. "The play was fairly level, as far as pressure put on both teams. We played a very good game as a result of a few key players stepping up and taking responsibility in certain areas."
Heinemann said that sophomore Will Wolf asked before the game to play in the defensive back third and help organize his teammates.
Chargers goalkeeper Ryan Ford posted three saves in the shutout.
Wayne Country Day (6-4-1 overall) climbed to 2-2-1 in CPIC play. The Chargers visit league-leading and unbeaten Ahoskie Ridgecroft on Tuesday.
County rivals battle to draw
LaGRANGE -- North Lenoir and Kinston played to a 1-1 draw on Friday night in non-conference action.
Ethan Schilf provided North Lenoir's only goal as he scored in the second half. In goal, Bryce Grady turned in another strong performance with nine saves.
North Lenoir (5-6-2) entertains Eastern Plains 2-A foe North Pitt on Monday.
Norris has big day for Eagles
Brooke Norris tallied 23 assists to lead Wayne Christian to a 25-19, 14-25, 25-23, 25-14 victory over Crossroads Christian on Friday.
Traci Davis recorded 11 kills and seven service aces, while Hope Wright contributed nine blocks and eight kills for the Eagles.
"This was truly the best game of the season," said Wayne Christian coach Courtney Chewning. "I was very proud of the efforts that each girl displayed tonight. Hopefully we will be able to keep our intensity for Monday's game against Spring Creek."
Wayne Christian (4-5 overall) plays host to Spring Creek on Monday.
* Boys soccer -- Brice Creger provided two goals, while Elliott Best and Cody Neal each supplied a first-half goal in Wayne Country Day's 4-0 victory over Kerr-Vance.
* Volleyball -- Faith Christian defeated Berean Christian in three games, 17-25, 25-16, 25-23. Charity Spence recorded a team-high eight kills to lead the Conquerors while Elizabeth Weeks chipped in with five kills. Madison Caudle turned in an all-around performance with five kills, four digs and four aces. Faith Christian (3-1 overall) faces Liberty Christian on Monday.
* Volleyball -- Wayne Christian topped Crossroads Christian 25-15, 15-25, 25-19 on Friday. The Eagles (8-1 overall) welcome Spring Creek on Monday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series