Wayne Christian men's soccer clinches CCC South Division title
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on October 7, 2007 3:17 AM
ERWIN -- Wayne Christian successfully defended its Southern Division title on the Class 1-A Carolina Christian Conference boys' soccer scene with a 3-0 shelling of Cape Fear Christian.
The Eagles (11-4-1 overall, 8-1 CC) earned an opening-round bye for next week's league tournament. They'll host a semifinal-round contest on Thursday at 5 p.m.
After a scoreless first half, Wayne Christian turned up the offensive pressure in the second 40 minutes of action. Bradley Yelverton erased the 0-0 deadlock with a goal off Hayden Gardner's assist.
Shea Glaesman and Matt Davis each added a goal.
"After a slow start, with two starters out, I made some changes at halftime and the offense started clicking," said Eagles coach Daryl Anderson. "Today was the last regular-season game for eight seniors. They have had a great season."
Wayne Christian is ranked No. 5 in the N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association 1-A poll.
Eagles lose in three
ERWIN -- Cape Fear Christian dealt Wayne Christian a 25-22, 25-18, 25-20 loss in their Carolina Christian 1-A Conference match Friday.
Hope Wright paced the Eagles with six kills, two assists and four blocks. Brooke Norris contributed seven assists and four kills. Hanna Kaler provided three kills and two service aces.
Wayne Christian (6-7 overall) fell to 5-4 in the CCC.
* Boys soccer -- Davis Taylor tallied two goals within an eight-minute stretch and Wayne Christian hammered Cape Fear Christian 5-0 in the Carolina Christian 1-A regular-season finale for both teams. Bryson Tart, Kyle Sasser and Chase King contributed one goal apiece. The Eagles concluded the year 6-1-3 overall.
* Football -- Eastern Wayne defeated Southern Wayne 28-12 in the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opener for both teams at Little Big Horn. Offensive leaders were Jonathan Midgette (112 yards rushing), Ryan Jones (120 yards, two touchdowns), Lamar Best (touchdown) and Mac Stover (73 yards, touchdown) completed three passes for an additional 34 yards. Defensive leaders were Best, Brandon Williams, James Barrett and Chris Bell. The Warriors (6-0 overall, 1-0 ECC) travel to Wilson Hunt next Thursday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series