By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on October 9, 2007 1:48 PM
KINSTON -- Charles B. Aycock improved to 7-0 in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play with a 3-0 win at Kinston on Monday.
Tyler Pearson scored on an assist from Tyler Ruffin in the 27th minute to put the Golden Falcons in front.
Alex Rodriguez fed Gavin Forrest inside the 18-yard box in the 31st minute, and Forrest pushed the lead to 2-0.
Rodriguez was in the giving mood again in the 47th minute, this time finding Jorge Delgado, to cap Aycock's scoring. The Golden Falcons outshot the Vikings 25-3, and Kinston didn't manage a shot on goal until the second half.
Aycock (12-2-1 overall) hosts ECC counterpart Wilson Hunt on Wednesday.
Hawks top Tarboro
LaGrange -- Ethan Schilf had a goal and an assist to help North Lenoir edge Eastern Plains 2-A Conference foe Tarboro 2-1 on Monday.
Schilf fed Corey Johnson, who got the Hawks on the board in the first half. Schilf found the back of the net off an assist from Hugo Garcia in the second half, and Bryce Grady had 15 saves in goal. The Hawks (9-7-3 overall) improved to 5-2 in the EPC, and continue league play on Wednesday at North Pitt.
Saints come up short
WILSON -- Southern Wayne couldn't make a 1-0 halftime lead stand up, as the Saints fell 2-1 in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play on Monday night at Wilson Beddingfield.
Carlos Zomitta's fifth goal of the season gave Southern Wayne an early lead. Rick Diaz found the back of the net twice in the second half to help Beddingfield escape with the win. Mario Aguilar had eight saves for the Saints.
Southern Wayne (3-9-1 overall) is 0-7 in the ECC, and will hosts conference foe Kinston on Wednesday.
Rosewood simply couldn't find the back of the net in its 1-0 non-conference loss to Louisburg on Monday. The Eagles (1-10-2 overall, 0-2-1 Carolina 1-A Conference) travel to Ayden-Grifton on Wednesday.
* Volleyball -- Wayne Christian won its play-in game in the Carolina Christian 1-A Conference tournament on Monday, defeating Norlina Christian 25-9, 25-15. The Eagles (11-2 overall) continue tournament play on Thursday in the semifinals at Trinity of Durham.
* Volleyball -- Norwayne swept visiting Mount Olive 25-7, 25-15, 25-11 on Monday. Conner Davis had 17 service points for Norwayne, and Courtnei Gilbert added eight. Norwayne is 7-0 overall, and 2-0 in the Division I Conference, and returns to action Thursday at Eastern Wayne.
* Volleyball -- Spring Creek took both matches of a doubleheader from Dillard in non-conference play on Monday. Spring Creek won 25-14, 25-13 in match one, and 25-12, 25-18 in match two. Whitney Frederick had 10 aces and 26 service points for Spring Creek. Emily Spangler and Yusely Lares each had three aces. Spring Creek is 6-2 overall, and 3-1 in conference play and will visit Grantham on Wednesday. Dillard hosts Rosewood on Thursday.
* Soccer -- Norwayne got goals from four different players en route to a 5-1 victory over Mount Olive on Monday. Brian Johnson had two goals, Ron Pina and Ron Pina added a pair of scores. Samantha Parrish chipped in a goal and an assist, and Jose Rodriguez tallied a goal and two assists. Trey Millard had two assists. Norwayne (4-1-1 overall) travels to Eastern Wayne on Thursday.
* Soccer -- Eastern Wayne shutout Greenwood 7-0 on Monday. Steven Taylor and Rene Agulr each had two goals for Eastern Wayne. Jae Kim, Mitchell Casper and Tyler Brown also had scores. Benito Avila, Brown, Taylor, Agulr and Tyler Muchlenthaler all had assists for Eastern Wayne. Eastern Wayne is now 4-2 and will host Norwayne on Thursday. Greenwood drops to 0-6 and entertains Grantham on Thursday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series