By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on October 12, 2007 3:14 PM
PRINCETON -- Ashley Williams pouunded out 15 kills and Rosewood turned back archrival Princeton 25-19, 21-25, 25-23, 25-20 in the Class 1-A Carolina Conference regular-season finale for both teams Thursday evening.
The victory bumped the Dawgs (10-9 overall) to 6-4 in the league and squashed their chances of finishing in a three-way tie for the league title. Spring Creek and North Johnston will share the title, instead.
Williams also recorded five digs, two blocks and two aces. Taylor Johnson finished with 13 kills, eight digs, four blocks and an ace. Paige Babb handed out 16 assists, to go along with four digs, an ace and a kill.
Amber Wood tallied 15 assists, three aces and three digs for the Bulldogs. Katie Sasser had eight kills and a dig, and Danielle Mitchell had seven kills.
Rosewood (7-10, 4-6 Carolina) opposes North Duplin in the quarterfinals of the conference tournament on Monday. Game time is 4:30 p.m. at Princeton.
The Dawgs face Ayden-Grifton approximately 30 minutes after the first match.
Hawks earn bye
SNOW HILL -- North Lenoir finished its regular season with a 25-12, 25-20, 25-20 victory over Eastern Plains 2-A Conference rival Greene Central on Thursday evening.
Anna Kennedy had 17 service points and three aces. Conner Jordan finished with six kills and Marissa Lanier had five.
The Hawks (19-0 overall, 10-0 EPC) clinched an opening-round bye for next week's conference tournament. They also secured the No. 1 seed for the N.C. High School Athletic Association playoffs, which begin Oct. 20.
Eagles fall in tourney
DURHAM -- Wayne Christian's quest for a Carolina Christian 1-A Conference tournament title came to an end on Thursday night. The Eagles fell 22-25, 25-23, 22-25, 13-25 to perennial power Cresset Christian in the semifinals.
Brooke Norris passed out 22 assists to go along with five kills. Katie Daniels finished with 10 digs and seven kills. Traci Davis added 10 kills, and Allison Rose had six digs.
The Eagles (7-8 overall) still have a shot at earning an at-large bid to the N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association playoffs.
Aycock sweeps Saints
DUDLEY -- Charles B. Aycock will head into next week's Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference tournament on a high note. The Golden Falcons swept Southern Wayne 25-15, 25-22, 25-20 on Thursday.
Beth Carter tallied 21 kills for Aycock. Bridgette Briggs added 12 kils, and Emily Jordan and Anna Sullivan combined for 29 digs. Lee Ann Sager had seven aces.
C.B. Aycock (3-13 overall) finished 2-8 in league play.
ECC tournament concludes
SNOW HILL -- Eastern Wayne's Lindsey Frederick captured the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference singles title with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Southern Wayne's Tara Hirsch on Thursday. Both Frederick and Hirsch qualified for regional play.
Kristen Prosser and Kristen Bennett of Charles B. Aycock defeated teammates Courtney Barnes and Emily Quinn 6-3, 6-4 to earn the ECC doubles crown. Both doubles squads will compete in regional play.
Mollie Musgrave (Eastern Wayne) and Keionna Love (Wilson Hunt) also earned spots in the regional's singles field.
Lauren Bynum and Cassie Musgrave (Eastern Wayne) and Madison Cauley and Abby Earle (Wilson Hunt) qualified for regional doubles play.
* Football -- Andre Montgomery and Freddie Jones each rushed for over 100 yards as Goldsboro cruised past Greene Central 38-12 on Thursday. Wayne Hammonds had a pair of first-half touchdown runs, as the Cougars took a 20-6 lead into halftime. Montgomery, Xavier Knight and Cortez Sprangle each scored in the second half for Goldsboro. Montgomery finished with 149 yards on 12 carries, and Jones added 108 yards rushing. Hammonds had nine tackles and two assists, and Freddie Jones chipped in seven tackles and three assists. Sprangle added an interception.
* Volleyball -- North Lenoir finished its season a perfect 15-0 with a 25-15, 25-16 win at Greene Central on Thursday. Jenna Rouse and Courtney Hill each had 11 service points. Kristen Davenport added five kills. The Hawks finished 6-0 in Eastern Plains 2-A Conference play.
* Volleyball -- Charles B. Aycock concluded its season with a 25-17, 25-18 Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference win at Southern Wayne on Thursday. Victoria Benton had 10 kills and five aces for the Golden Falcons. Miranda Aycock finished with four aces. Aycock finishes the year 9-7 overall and 6-4 in the ECC.
* Volleyball -- Princeton knocked off Rosewood 25-14, 25-14 on Thursday. The Eagles finished their season 5-8 overall and 5-5 in the Carolina 1-A Conference.
* Volleyball -- Spring Creek needed just two games to earn a season-ending 25-14, 25-22 Carolina 1-A Conference win at North Duplin on Thursday. Brantlee Barwick had two digs, an ace and a kill for the Rebels. Angelica Favela finished with an ace, a kill and a dig. North Duplin concluded its season with a 1-13 record overall and 1-9 in conference play.
* Football -- Norwayne turned back Eastern Wayne 22-14 on Thursday. Adam Tate hauled in a 15-yard touchdown pass from Preston Tucker. Colin Dubose and Willie Sutton also added touchdowns for Norwayne. Hunter Jones (nine tackles), Chris Dawson (six tackles) and Tyler Hall (two sacks) led Norwayne defensively.
* Football -- Keenan Winn scored four touchdowns to help Grantham roll past Greenwood 34-6 on Thursday. Winn had touchdown runs of 60, 20 and 16 yards, and also caught a 20-yard touchdown pass from Keith Jones. Miquan Donley added a two-yard touchdown run for Grantham. Grantham (4-0, 2-0 Div. 2) visits Spring Creek on Thursday.
* Football -- Brogden slipped past Mt. Olive 16-14 on Thursday. Antonio Deans had touchdown runs of 40 and 10 yards for Brogden. Devin Oliver had a pair of two-point conversions. Deans and Reggie Wynn each had eight solo tackles. Cory Edwards made seven stops and also recovered a fumble. Brogden improves to 5-0 overall, 2-0 in conference play and travels to Greenwood on Thursday.
* Volleyball -- Norwayne remained unbeaten with a 25-16, 25-12, 25-12 win over Eastern Wayne on Thursday. Conner Davis recorded 19 service points for Norwayne, and Ivy Hartzell added 15. Norwayne (8-0, 3-0) travels to Greenwood on Monday.
* Volleyball -- Rosewood swept a doubleheader at Dillard on Thursday. Rosewood prevailed 25-16, 25-10 in match one, and 25-16, 25-20 in match two. Zsanaquia McCullogh finished with 17 service points for Dillard. Kasheika Wallace added 11 service points and a strong floor game in a losing effort. Dillard visits Eastern Wayne on Thursday.
* Soccer -- Four different players found the back of the net to guide Eastern Wayne past Norwayne 4-1 on Thursday. Rene Agulic, Jae Kim, Tyler Muehlenthaler and Benito Avila all scored for Eastern Wayne. Benito Avila, Steven Taylor, Muehlenthaler and Kim each had assists for Eastern Wayne. Jose Rodriguez scored an unassisted goal for Norwayne. Eastern Wayne is 5-2 overall and will host Wayne Country Day on Monday. Norwayne falls to 4-2-1 overall and will travel to Rosewood on Monday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series