By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on October 19, 2007 1:48 PM
* Football -- Goldsboro raced to a 36-12 halftime lead, and cruised to a 58-20 rout of Farmville Central on Thursday. Wayne Hammonds had a 70-yard kickoff return for a touchdown, and a 25-yard run for a score in the first half. Andrae Montgomery, Freddie Jones and Charles Smith each had touchdown runs for the Cougars before halftime. Jones rumbled for two more scores in the second half, and finished with 117 yards on just eight carries. Darius Currie added a late touchdown run for Goldsboro. Montgomery ended the night with 171 yards on 15 carries. Hammonds led the Cougars' defense with 12 tackles and four assists. Demarkus Williams made eight stops and three assists, and Jarrion Reid had seven tackles and three assists.
* Football -- Charles B. Aycock scored 22 first quarter points, had over 400-yards of offense and crushed Wilson Hunt 50-28. David Gurganus threw for 107 yards and a touchdown, and tacked on 73-yards on the ground. Shepard Whitfield rumbled for 132-yards and three scores. Matt Woodard finished with 54 receiving yards and two scores, and Sholando McBride tallied 40-yards on the ground and two touchdowns. Aycock (4-4, 2-1 ECC) visits Eastern Wayne on Thursday.
* Football -- Eastern Wayne picked up a 40-29 Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference win at Wilson Beddingfield on Thursday. Jonathan Midgette rushed for 145 yards and a touchdown, and also had an 85-yard kickoff return for a score. Ryan Jones and Lamar Best also added touchdowns for the Warriors (7-1, 2-1 ECC). Mike Stover rushed for 75 yards and a touchdown, and threw a 15-yard TD passs to Rashawn Barnes. Donta Lewis, Brandon Williams and Chris Bell led the Warriors' defense.
* Football -- Grantham improved to 5-0 with a 40-0 victory over Spring Creek on Thursday. Keenan Winn had touchdown runs from 50, 30 and five yards out. He also caught a two-point conversion pass from Keith Jones. Levan Moore added touchdown runs of 80 and 40-yards. Luis Santos found the endzone on the ground from 18-yards out. Max Waddell led the defense with 13 tackles, and Jamario Roberts blocked a punt. Grantham is now 3-0 in the Division II Middle School Conference, and will host Brogden on Thursday.
* Football -- Mount Olive racked up 263 yards on the ground in the midst of a 30-0 win over Rosewood on Thursday. Anthony McKinney compiled 72 rushing yards and a touchdown for Mount Olive. Tyshawn Vann rumbled for 32-yards and a score, and Robert Lennox added 35-yards and a touchdown. Juan Pearsall joined the scoring with a 5-yard touchdown reception from Sam Ferrell. Lennox finished with eight tackles and an interception. Devonte Artis made six stops. Mount Olive (4-2, 1-2) travels to Greenwood on Thursday.
* Football -- Jalen Barnes and Tykel Thompson scored a pair of rushing touchdowns as Eastern Wayne edged Dillard 14-8 on Thursday. Eastern Wayne (4-2, 2-1) squares off with Mount Olive on Nov. 1.
* Football -- Brogden remained undefeated with a 14-6 win over Greenwood on Thursday. Cory Edwards Antonio Deams each had eight tackles for Brogden. Devin Oliver made six stops and interception, and Rowell Outlaw had six tackles and a fumble recovery. Oliver and Deams each recorded rushing touchdowns. Brogden (6-0, 3-0) wraps up its season on Thursday at Grantham.
* Soccer -- Nathan Huyser scored five goals and handed out two assists in guiding Rosewood to an 8-3 defeat of Mount Olive on Thursday. Matt Shaw added a pair of goals for Rosewood, and Holly Pittard scored as well. Brett Robinson had an assist. Rosewood faces Grantham on Monday.
* Soccer -- Brogden knocked off Greenwood 6-3 on Thursday. Travis Nelson had a pair of goals for Greenwood while Jean Pierre Ponce also had a goal. Josh Hahn had two assists and Travis Nelson added an assist. Greenwood falls to 1-8 overall and will travel to Mount Olive on Thursday.
* Soccer -- Steven Taylor and Tyler Muehlenthaler each scored to help Eastern Wayne turn back Wayne Country Day 2-0 on Thursday. Alan Lapeen and Taylor each tallied an assist. Eastern Wayne impoved to 7-2 and visits Spring Creek on Monday. Wayne Country Day is 3-4 overall.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series