Tusculum blanks Mount Olive
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on October 22, 2007 1:48 PM
MOC Sports Information
MOUNT OLIVE -- Mount Olive goalkeeper Jenn Sastre recorded a career-high 10 saves, but Tusculum prevailed 5-0 and snapped the Trojans' seven-match unbeaten streak on Sunday afternoon.
Danielle Tanner and Jere Whitbread scored two goals apiece for Tusculum, while Courtney Tanner added a goal and an assist.
Sastre recorded nine saves in the first half, including a kick save on an eight-yard shot attempt as Mount Olive (7-7-3) stayed within a goal through the first 23 minutes. Tusculum (11-5-0) broke the game open with two goals in a span of just under five minutes.
Mount Olive pressured early in the second half and had a scoring opportunity in the second minute after intermission on a cross by Kate Painter. But a Tusculum defender was able to clear the ball out before the Trojans could take a shot.
Amanda Huber played the final 35 minutes in goal for the Trojans and finished with four saves. Tusculum outshot Mount Olive 26-3.
The Trojans conclude regular-season play this week with a pair of Conference Carolinas road games. They visit Barton College on Wednesday and head to Limestone (S.C.) on Saturday. The Trojans need one win to advance to the season-ending conference tournament.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series