By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on October 31, 2007 2:45 PM
AHOSKIE -- Six different Warriors scored in a span of 42 minutes, as Eastern Wayne cruised past Hertford County 6-0 in the first round of the N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 3-A playoffs on Tuesday.
Jace Muehlenthaler got the scoring started in the first minute. Two minutes later, Werner Wooten fed Frankie Russo for a 2-0 advantage.
Robbie Keys, Chris Knobling, Nick Baker and Geordi Brown each found the back of the net. Eric Suncin, Ryan Klinkicht and Russo all added assists. The Warriors finished with a 16-2 shots on goal advantage.
Eastern Wayne (10-11 overall) will face either D.H. Conley or wild-card entry North Brunswick on Saturday.
SNOW HILL -- Greene Central staved off a fierce effort from Cardinal Gibbons and seized a 5-4 victory in their N.C. High School Athletic Association 2-A dual-team eastern semifinal-round match Tuesday afternoon.
The match was tied at 3-3 heading into doubles play, but the duos of Puja Patel-Lauren Carraway and Elizabeth Mclawhorn-Abby Sugg each pulled out their doubles matches to help the Rams secure the victory.
McLawhorn, Cally Hudson and Carraway each earned singles wins for Greene Central.
"This was a war from start to finish," Greene Central coach Donald Clark said. "My girls just refused to quit today. It looked like several times that we were gone today, but the girls just kept fighting back and found a way to win."
The Rams (21-2) will host Tarboro at 4 p.m. on Thursday.
Greene Central 5
Cardinal Gibbons 4
Singles: No. 1 Nancy Reily (CG) d. Puja Parel 3-6, 6-4, 10-1; No. 2 Scottie Whiteley (CG) d. Ashley Grant 6-2, 6-1; No. 3 Elizabeth McLawhorn (GC) d. Meredith Masteller 6-1, 6-2; No. 4 Cally Hudson (GC) d. Margaret Whiteley 1-6, 6-4, 10-8; No. 5 Casey Perriccio (CG) d. Abby Sugg 6-3, 7-5; Lauren Carraway (GC) d. Megan Bok 6-2, 6-2.
Doubles: No. 1 Patel-Carraway (GC) d. Reily-Perriccio 11-9; No. 2 S. Whiteley-Katherine Fontes (GC) d. Grant-Hudson 10-6; No. 3 McLawhorn-Sugg (GC) d. M. Whiteley-Bok 10-5.
* Goldsboro 44, North Lenoir 6 -- Andre Montgomery had touchdown runs of 60 and 18 yards, as Goldsboro (7-2 overall, 3-1 EPC) raced past North Lenoir on Monday. Montgomery finished with 122 yards. Freddie Jones added a 73-yard score, and ended the contest with 114 yards. Both Montgomery and Jones have surpassed 1,000-yard mark for the season. Wayne Hammonds tacked on scores from 14 and 9 yards out, and Darius Curie had a 12-yard score. Hammonds and Jarren Reed both finished with 10 tackles. The Cougars will host North Pitt (9-0, 4-0 EPC) on Thursday for a share of the conference championship.
* Volleyball -- After falling to Mount Olive earlier this season, Spring Creek turned the tables on Tuesday. Spring Creek earned a 25-13, 25-14, 19-25, 25-15 victory, and improved to 9-4 overall and 6-1 in conference play. Yusely Lares recorded 20 service points and 2 aces. Emily Spangler finished with 10 service points. Spring Creek travels to Greenwood on Thursday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series