Local Sports Digest
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on November 2, 2007 2:42 PM
From staff reports
SNOW HILL -- The dream of winning a state championship got one step closer to becoming a reality for Greene Central on Thursday.
The Rams (22-2 overall) dumped Tarboro 5-1 and earned their ninth trip to the N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 2-A dual-team title match. Greene Central faces Salisbury at noon at the Burlington Tennis Center.
Puja Patel got the day started for the Rams with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Jasmine Burroughs. Patel improved her record on the year to 25-1.
Elizabeth McLawhorn rallied to down Nellie Wilson 3-6, 6-0, 10-4. Cally Hudson, Abby Sugg and Lauren Carraway also picked up singles wins.
"I am very proud of my girls," Greene Central head coach Donald Clark said. "No one gave us much of a chance to even win the conference this year, muss less advance to the state finals. These girls have worked extremely hard all year long.
"They believe in themselves, they believe in each other and they just refuse to lose."
* Football -- Charles B. Aycock finished 4-1 in the Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference with a 14-0 win at Southern Wayne on Thursday. Shepard Whitfield rushed for 85 yards for the Golden Falcons. Craig Murdock's 6-yard rushing touchdown, and David Gurganus' run from a yard out, helped Aycock break a scoreless halftime tie. Matt Woodard came up with a key interception on defense. The Golden Falcons finished the season 6-4 overall and tied for first in the ECC.
* Football -- Willie Sutton's rushing touchdown was all the scoring Norwayne needed to edge Rosewood 6-0 on Thursday. Sutton finished with 70 yards on the ground, and also made five tackles. With the win, Norwayne clinched the Wayne County Middle School Athletic Conference Division I title outright. Chris Dawson finished with four tackles, and Colin Dubose added a sack.
* Football -- Keenan Winn tossed a 38-yard touchdown pass, Keith Jones added a touchdown run and Grantham doubled up Dillard 16-8 on Thursday. Theo Cox ran in a pair of two-point conversions, and Jamario Roberts made five tackles and blocked a punt. Grantham (7-0 overall) claimed the WCMSAC Division II crown with a 4-0 worksheet.
* Football -- Mount Olive's 28-6 win at Eastern Wayne on Thursday gave the program its first winning season in 16 years. Mount Olive finished the year 6-2 overall and 2-2 in conference play. Anthony McKinney rushed for 89 yards, and also had a 64-yard interception return for a touchdown. Colton Chrisman had three catches for 22 yards and a two-point conversion. Quarterback Sam Ferrell finished 4-for-6 for 46 yards. Robert Lennox made five tackles, and Devonte Artis had four stops.
* Volleyball -- Norwayne capped a fourth consecutive undefeated season by knocking off Rosewood 25-12, 25-18, 25-16 on Thursday. Conner Davis and Imari Howell each had 12 service points. Rachel Jordan finished with 11. Norwayne (14-0, 6-0 WCMSAC Division I) has now won 51 straight matches in the last four seasons.
* Volleyball -- Spring Creek outlasted Greenwood 25-16, 25-16, 19-25, 20-25, 15-9 on Thursday. Emily Spengler tallied 19 service points and an ace. Whitney Frederick had 16 service points and eight aces. Spring Creek (10-4 overall) won its second consecutive WCMSAC Division II championship.
* Soccer -- Trey Millard scored four times to help lead Norwayne to a 5-0 victory in its over Rosewood on Thursday. Chase Thompson added a goal. Cameron Taylor, Thompson and Juan Pina each notched assists. Nick Hilker finished with three saves. Norwayne finished the season 7-3-2 overall.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series