Goldsboro JV cruises to win
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on November 4, 2007 2:36 AM
From staff reports
Andrae Montgomery and Freddie Jones surpassed the 1,000-yard rushing mark, and the Cougars clinched a share of the Eastern Plains 2-A Conference title with a 42-0 trouncing of North Pitt.
It is Goldsboro's first league championship since 1999.
Montgomery rambled for 129 yards, including a 6-yard touchdown run. Jones added a 1-yard TD run. Richard Murrell returned a fumble 82 yards for one score, while Marquise King hauled in touchdown-scoring passes of 19 and 20 yards from quarterback Cortez Sprangle. Sprangle also threw an 18-yard strike to Josh McCoy.
The defensive leaders were Murrell, McCoy, Jones, Montgomery, Wayne Hammonds, Jarren Reed, Michael Sawyer and Trebor Jackson.
Goldsboro (7-3 overall) and North Pitt (9-1) each logged a 4-1 record against EPC opposition this season.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series