By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on November 30, 2007 1:48 PM
JACKSONVILLE -- Longwood (Va.) University signee and Eastern Wayne senior Brittani Billups torched Jacksonville for a career-high 36 points in a 62-46, non-conference win Thursday evening.
Ebony Reid and Jazmine Middleton provided six and five points, respectively, for the Warriors.
Eastern Wayne (2-1 overall) plays host to South Central today.
Brooke Norris collected a team-leading 17 points as Wayne Country Day suffered a 50-44, non-conference loss against Parrott Academy.
Bridgette Briggs added 15 points for the Chargers, who dropped to 1-3 overall.
WCDS is the guest of Terra Ceia today.
DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne edged visiting Wilmington New Hanover 40-32 on Wednesday.
The Saints' Lynnesha Leonard finished with a game-high 19 points. Shakoria Clark added seven points, and Brianna Lofton had six.
Southern Wayne (2-0 overall) welcomes county rival Goldsboro today.
Wayne Country Day took care of visiting Parrott Academy 59-46 on Thursday.
The Chargers' Floronta Wynn had 18 points, seven rebounds and seven steals. Jeff Franklin and Reco McCarter contributed 11 points apiece.
Wayne Country Day (5-1 overall) visits Terra Ceia today.
Aycock dealt loss
CLAYTON -- Clayton handed Charles B. Aycock a 77-42 setback on Thursday night.
Khendra Reid paced the Golden Falcons with 14 points, and Leonard Compton had eight. Jonathan Williams chipped in six.
Aycock (2-3 overall) entertains North Lenoir tonight.
EW still seeking win
JACKSONVILLE -- Eastern Wayne's search for its first win of the season continues as the Warriors fell 76-50 on Thursday night.
Cody Kirkham finished with 16 points for Eastern Wayne. Will White and Daviyon Whisonant each had 10, and Colton Butler added six.
The Warriors (0-3 overall) will host South Central tonight.
Golden Falcons stumble
CLAYTON -- Charles B. Aycock endured a 61-31 loss at Clayton on Thursday.
Matt Woodward led the Golden Falcons (1-2 overall) with 11 points. Shepard Whitfield pulld down 10 rebounds.
Wayne Country Day edged Parrott Academy 42-40 on Thursday.
Eighth-grader Hil Tanner sank two free throws with 1.4 seconds to go and finished with 15 points for the Chargers, now 4-0 this season.
EW still unbeaten
JACKSONVILLE -- Unbeaten Eastern Wayne pulled out a 27-26 decision at Jacksonville on Thursday.
The Warriors (3-0 overall) received a game-high 19 points from Cathy Benjamin.
Eastern Wayne faces South Central today.
* Wayne Christian boys 36, Cape Fear 31 -- The Eagles' Josiah Davis supplied a double-double (18 points, 22 rebounds). Chase Darden added 10 points and four steals. Kyle Sasser and Chandler Harrell recorded four points and 10 rebounds apiece. Wayne Christian (3-0 overall) improved to 2-0 in Carolina Christian 1-A Conference play.
* Mount Olive boys 65, Norwayne 32 -- Breyon Johnson scored 20 points in the Chargers' season-opening win. Quintae Bradshaw added eight points. Bryant Stafford paced the Cobras' offense with seven points. Mount Olive (1-0 overall) visits Eastern Wayne on Monday.
* Spring Creek girls 41, Dillard 32 -- Ashley Parks and Talay Lassiter pumped in 15 points apiece for the Gators. Shatoria Hickson led Dillard with a game-high 16 points, while Kasheika Wallace scored 10.
* Wayne Christian girls 12, Cape Fear 11 -- Katie Isenhower emerged the Eagles' leader with eight points and three steals. Wayne Christian (2-0 overall) travels to Greenville Christian today.
* Norwayne girls 28, Mount Olive 18 -- Courtnei Gilbert dished out six assists for Norwayne and teammate Imari Howell supplied a game-high 12 points. Taquanda Bynum emerged Mount Olive's top scorer with eight points. Norwayne (1-0 overall) plays host to Rosewood on Monday.
* Rosewood girls 28, Brogden 16 -- Kayla Ormond paced the Eagles' attack with 12 points, while Keke Parks chipped in six points. Nijah Muhammed tallied seven points for Brogden.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series