Local sports Digest
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on December 2, 2007 2:26 AM
From staff reports
DUDLEY -- Goldsboro outscored Southern Wayne 35-19 in the second half and cruised to a 74-58, non-conference victory Friday evening.
Keovanta McDuffie led the Cougars with 23 points. Demetrio Irby finished with 17 points and Tim Hobbs had 16. Tavon Murchinson chipped in 10.
John Hart and Desmond Raiford scored 19 points apiece for the Saints. Kendrick Thompson had 10 points.
Goldsboro hosts Eastern Wayne on Tuesday night, while Southern Wayne (0-3 overall) is the guest of Jacksonville Northside.
Hawks soar past CBA
PIKEVILLE -- Tim Roberts pumped in 17 points as North Lenoir claimed a 70-51, non-conference win over Charles B. Aycock on Friday evening.
Tyler Potter added 15 points for the Hawks.
Khendra Reid led the Golden Falcons with 14 points. Leonard Compton chipped in nine points and Tyheim Pitt had eight.
PHS stops Raiders
SPIVEY'S CORNER -- Will Gainey collected 17 of his career-high 23 points in the fourth quarter as Princeton dumped Midway 65-51 on Friday evening.
Josh Barefoot finished with 19 points and Ryan Daughtry added 12.
The Bulldogs (4-1 overall) entertain the Eastern N.C. School for the Deaf on Tuesday.
Wayne Christian falls
Visiting Cape Fear Christian outscored Wayne Christian 17-2 over the final 41/2 minutes en route to a 59-43, Class 1-A Carolina Christian Conference victory on Friday night.
Eric Williams led the Eagles (3-3 overall, 0-1 CCC) with 24 points and 11 rebounds. Shea Glaesman had eight points and five rebounds, and Adam Brannan added five points, four assists, three steals and three rebounds.
Wayne Christian visits Wayne Country Day on Tuesday.
Eagles lose stunner
Rocky Mount Prep sank a half court 3-pointer at the buzzer to hand Rosewood a 50-47, season-opening loss on Friday night.
Stephen McIntyre led the Eagles with 16 points and Tyler Muntz added 11.
Joe Royal Evans had 13 points for Rocky Mount Prep.
Rosewood (0-1 overall) visits Midway on Tuesday.
WCD comes up short
PANTEGO -- Minus its slashing point guard, Wayne Country Day suffered its second loss of the season Friday evening.
Floronta Wynn missed the Chargers' 63-55 setback due to a death in the family. Gunther Linsenmeyer also missed the non-conference contest with an illness.
Transfer Reco McCarter recorded a double-double, 20 points and 12 rebounds, and dished out five assistss for Wayne Country Day. Landon Case added 13 points, while Josh Gregory contributed nine points and 11 rebounds.
The Chargers entertain Wayne Christian on Tuesday.
Falcons top Warriors
Eastern Wayne remained winless in four outings after a 69-62, non-conference loss against South Central on Friday evening.
Jamir Thomas and Daviyon Whisonant tallied 19 points apiece for the Warriors.
Eastern Wayne is the guest of county rival Goldsboro on Tuesday.
Cougars survive SW
DUDLEY -- Ki'anna Williams blocked a shot in transition in the closing seconds and Goldsboro upended county rival Southern Wayne 61-58 on Friday evening.
Williams paced the Cougars with a game-high 22 points. Millicent Kornegay supplied a double-double (13 points, 12 rebounds), while Danielle Irby contributed 13 points.
Zeara McDuffie added 10 points and nine rebounds.
Lynnesha Leonard emerged the Saints' top scorer with 19 points. Shakoria Clark knocked down 12 points, followed by Brianna Lofton with nine.
Goldsboro travels to Eastern Wayne on Tuesday, while Southern Wayne visits Jacksonville Northside.
Gators topple Hobbton
NEWTON GROVE -- Melanique DeVeaux tallied a game-high 25 points as Spring Creek rallied past Hobbton 50-38 on Friday evening.
The Gators (1-1 overall) outscored the Wildcats 36-15 in the second half.
Rachelle Butler added 16 points and six rebounds for Spring Creek. Tasha Whitfield pulled down a career-high 20 rebounds to go along with four points.
Fike edges Rams
SNOW HILL -- Greene Central dropped to 0-4 overall with a 58-53 loss to Wilson Fike on Friday night.
Shonice Pettaway paced the Rams with 26 points. Shanna Parker finished with seven points.
Eagles lose close one
Visiting Cape Fear Christian edged Wayne Christian 44-42 on Friday night.
The Eagles led 30-27 heading into the fourth quarter, and didn't fall behind until there was one minute left to play.
Jennifer Price led Wayne Christian with 14 points. Brittany Sullivan had nine points.
The Eagles (3-3, 0-1 CCC) visit Wanye Country Day on Tuesday.
CBA drops two
PIKEVILLE -- North Lenoir exited Pikeville with a 48-35 win over Charles B. Aycock on Friday night.
Chantel Gaines led the Golden Falcons (1-5 overall) with 19 points.
Clayton breezed past Aycock 46-27 on Thursday. Gaines led the Golden Falcons with 10 points.
Bulldogs bite Gators
SEVEN SPRINGS -- Spring Creek opened its season with a 60-21 loss to Princeton on Friday.
The Gators' Garrett Lewis recorded a decision. Daniel Richter earned a forfeit, and Matt Richter picked up a pin.
* Greene Central boys 72, Wilson Fike 70 -- Marquice Grant finished with a double-double -- 11 points and 14 rebounds -- for Greene Central. Danny Whitaker scored 14 points to go along with with six assists and three steals. Eric Johnson added 10 points, six assists and four steals for the Rams.
* Goldsboro 45, C.B. Aycock 28 -- Robert Washington finished with 10 points for the Cougars (1-0 overall). Cortez Sprangle added nine points, and Devonte' White had eight.
* Wayne Country Day boys 38, Terra Ceia 12 -- Cameron Ford led the unbeaten Chargers (5-0 overall) with 12 points.
* Rosewood boys 40, Rocky Mount Prep 33 -- Cody Harris scored 12 points in the Eagles' season-opening win. Antonio Enriques added eight.
* Eastern Wayne girls 31, South Central 23 -- Maurriell Baker finished with 12 points for the Warriors, now 4-0 overall. Morgan Smith and O'Teria Dortch both scored five points.
* Wayne Christian girls 24, Cape Fear Christian 22 -- Charity Wright finished with a double-double -- 11 points and 11 rebounds -- to go with two blocked shots for the Eagles (3-1 overall). Devan Isenhower added six points, eight rebounds and two blocks.
* Rosewood girls 30, Princeton 22 -- Gabby Corman finished with 14 points for the Eagles and Jennifer Baker had 13. Tylan George scored 10 for Princeton.
* Goldsboro boys 59, C.B. Aycock 43 -- Adam Hobbs scored a team-high 14 points for the Cougars (2-0). Michael Sykes added 11. Michael Sawyer and Robert Wynn each had seven points. Goldsboro also picked up a recent 62-55 win over Greenville-Rose. Sawyer finished with 14 points and Adam Hobbs had 10.
* Spring Creek boys 32, Dillard 30 -- De'shar Thomas was the Gators' top scorer with 10 points, while Trevan Parks tallied eight. It was the season-opening game for both teams. The Gators (1-0 overall) entertain Greenwood on Tuesday.
* Wayne Christian boys 40, Greenville Christian Academy 28 -- The Eagles' Josiah Davis had his third double-double of the season with 18 points and 12 rebounds. Chase Darden finished with 11 points and three steals. Chandler Harrell earned his first double-double of the year with 11 points and 14 rebounds. Wayne Christian (4-0 overall, 2-0) visits Wayne Country Day on Tuesday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series