Princeton notches home win
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on December 9, 2007 2:01 AM
PRINCETON -- Three different Bulldogs finished in double figures as Princeton turned back visiting Midway 60-52 on Friday night.
Ryan Daughtry finished with 19 points. Josh Barefoot added 13 points and 10 rebounds, while Benton Myers tallied 11. Will Gainey chipped in nine points, and Chris Hinton supplied eight points and eight rebounds.
Chris Boone led Midway with 19 points.
Princeton (6-1 overall) visits Hobbton on Tuesday.
Warriors win thriller
VANCEBORO -- Orlando Midgette scored with nine seconds left in the game, and Eastern Wayne earned its first win of the season with a 45-44 victory at West Craven on Friday night.
Midgette finished with four points and seven rebounds. Daviyon Whisonant led the Warriors with 10 points, Dominique Sadler tallied eight and Hassan Best had five.
Jimmy Cross paced West Craven with 17 points.
The Warriors (1-5 overall) host Goldsboro on Tuesday.
Eagles stop Chargers
AYDEN -- Danny Moye poured in 21 points, but it wasn't enough as Greene Central fell 60-51 at Ayden-Grifton on Friday night.
The Rams (1-6 overall) hosts Charles B. Aycock on Tuesday.
Road unkind to WCS
SMITHFIELD -- Mount Olive college signee Eric Williams recorded a double-double with 26 points and 22 rebounds, but Wayne Christian fell to 0-2 in the Carolina Christian 1-A conference with a 53-43 loss at Johnston Christian on Friday night.
Matt Davis had seven points and Shae Glaesman added four points and pulled down 10 rebounds.
Brian Vaughan scored 16 points for Johnston Christian, and Javon Raiford had 10.
Wayne Christian (3-5 overall) will continue conference play at Crossroads Christian on Tuesday.
Saints lose close one
DUDLEY --Southern Wayne's bid for its first win of the season fell short as Jacksonville downed the Saints 69-65 on Friday.
Jonathan Hart scored a team-high 21 points. Desmond Raiford netted 10 points and Justin Artis had eight.
Jacksonville's Damion Williams finished with 24 points.
The Saints (0-6 overall) visit Ashley in Wilmington on Wednesday.
Cougars breeze past CBA
Goldsboro squared off with Charles B. Aycock for the third time this season, and came away with a 78-47 victory on Friday night. The Cougars are 2-1 against the Golden Falcons this year.
Keovanta McDuffie led Goldsboro with 22 points and Aric Sinclair tallied 12. Doshamora Simms scored nine points, Donald Lewis had eight, and Tavon Murchinson netted seven.
Michael King and Leonard Compton each finished with nine points for Aycock. Jonathan Williams scored eight and Khendra Reid pitched in five.
Goldsboro (4-3 overall) visits Eastern Wayne on Tuesday, while C.B. Aycock travels to Greene Central.
WCDS wins big
Wayne Country Day had little trouble in earning a 56-34 win at Rosewood on Friday.
Floronta Wynn finished with a game-high 17 points to go along with five rebounds. Jeff Franklin added 13 points. David Martell scored eight and Reco McCarter tallied seven points, six rebounds and six steals.
Tyler Muntz led Rosewood with 14 points. Stephen McIntyre chipped in seven and Holt Rains had six.
Wayne Country Day hosts Trinity of Fayetteville on Monday, while Rosewood visits Louisburg on Tuesday.
Eagles stop Chargers
Rosewood picked up a non-conference victory with a 50-39 win over visiting Wayne Country Day on Friday evening.
Haile Meadows finished with a team-high 13 points for the Eagles. Paige Babb and Taylor Johnson scored nine points apiece. Mary Jo Moore contributed eight.
Rosewood (2-2 overall) goes to Louisburg on Tuesday.
Eagles stop Chargers
AYDEN -- Greene Central dropped to 0-7 with a 42-35 setback at Ayden-Grifton on Friday evening.
Shonice Pettaway paced the Rams with 10 points. Jocelyn Conner and Doniqua Waters each finished with seven points.
EW routs West Craven
VANCEBORO -- Brittani Billups pumped in 26 points and Eastern Wayne dominated West Craven 67-20 on Friday.
Danielle Daniels and Tiara McIntyre each had nine points, Ebony Reid pitched in six and Lindsey Frederick tallied five.
Eastern Wayne (4-2 overall) entertains Goldsboro on Tuesday.
* Greene Central boys 78, Ayden-Grifton 76 -- Danny Whitaker finished with 14 points for the Rams.
* Goldsboro boys 63, Charles B. Aycock 57 -- Robert Washington paced the Cougars with 18 points. Quantego Holloman finished with 16, and Resean Brewington scored 15. RaJohn Ormond scored a game-high 20 points for the Golden Falcons. Matt Woodard added 17 points.
* Wayne Country Day boys 54, Rosewood 46 -- Stone Stewart led the Chargers with 24 points and five rebounds. Cameron Ford added 16 points, six assists and five steals.
* Wayne Christian girls 42, Johnston Christian 38 (OT) -- Kayla Kennedy and Carly Hightower both hit key 3-pointers in overtime to help the Eagles prevail. Charity Wright's putback with 10 seconds left in regulation, helped force overtime. Wright finished with 18 points, and Kennedy scored 11. Devan Isenhower tallied seven points and Carly Hightower added six.
* Goldsboro boys 65, Charles B. Aycock 51 -- Adam Hobbs finished with 19 points, Michael Sawyer pitched in 16 and Michael Sykes had 12. Tyson Pearson scored 16 for CBA.
* Wayne Christian boys 23, Johnston Christian 22 -- Kyle Sasser scored with eight seconds remaining to help Wayne Christian (6-0 overall, 2-0) earn the win. Johnston Christian's Aley Sellers missed a pair of free throws with no time left on the clock. Josiah Davis led the Eagles with 10 points. Chase Darden added six.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series