Local Sports Digest
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on December 11, 2007 2:59 PM
From staff reports
After falling earlier in the season at Trinity of Fayetteville, Wayne Country Day returned the favor with a 55-42 victory over Trinity on Monday night.
The Chargers (9-2 overall), currently ranked fifth in the N.C. Independent School Athletic Association, were led by Floronta Wynn who scored 15 points. Jeff Franklin added 13 points. Reco McCarter had nine and Landon Case finished with eight points.
Trinity (6-2) entered the game ranked third among NCISAA member schools.
"Our last four or five ball games have been strenuous," Wayne Country Day head coach Terry Jones said. "Along with our most recent wins, we did some learning on the job. That paid heavy dividends for us tonight."
Betterton cards ace
William Betterton used a 5-wood to ace the No. 9 hole on the Three Eagles Golf Course at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base.
* Wayne Country Day boys 52, Trinity of Fayetteville 50 -- Cameron Ford put Wayne Country Day on top for good with just seconds remaining to help the Chargers prevail. Stone Stewart finished with 25 points and Ford had 22. Wayne Country Day (8-0) hosts Ridgecroft on Wednesday.
* Trinity Christian of Durham girls 32, Wayne Christian 30 -- Charity Wright scored a team-high 11 points for Wayne Christian (5-1, 2-1). Kayla Kennedy finished with nine points and Devan Isenhower each scored six.
* Goldsboro boys 57, Kinston 54 -- Adam Hobbs had 15 points for the Cougars (5-1). Michael Sykes pitched in 11 points. Goldsboro plays at Eastern Wayne today.
* Norwayne boys 33, Dillard 28 -- A.J. Mundle paced Norwayne (1-2 overall, 1-1) with 13 points. Jalen Williams had nine points and Bryant Stafford finished with eight. Norwayne travels to Brogden on Thursday.
* Rosewood boys 40, Spring Creek 34 -- Shane Whitley led Rosewood with 11 points and Kendrick Williams tacked on 10. Rosewood (2-1 overall, 1-0) also earned a recent 41-28 win at Norwayne. Rosewood pays a visit to Grantham on Thursday.
* Mount Olive boys 45, Greenwood 39 -- Breyon Johnson scored 18 points for Mount Olive, including going 10-for-13 at the free throw line. Andrew Matthews finished with 12 points, and Quintae Bradshaw pulled down 10 rebounds. Octavius Alston had 10 points for Greenwood. Mount Olive (4-0 overall, 2-0) plays at Dillard on Thursday.
* Norwayne girls 58, Dillard 18 -- Kayla Williams finished with a game-high 16 points for Norwayne. Ivey Hartzell scored 11 points and Imari Howell added six. Kasheika Wallace tallied 10 points for Dillard. Norwayne (3-0 overall, 2-0) visits Brogden on Thursday.
* Spring Creek girls 28, Rosewood 14 -- Talaya Lassiter scored 14 points for Spring Creek and Janna Price added four. Kerri Jo Gurley led Rosewood with six. Spring Creek (2-2 overall) goes to Eastern Wayne on Wednesday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series