By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on December 18, 2007 1:48 PM
Eastern Wayne's Bailey Upchurch, Mason Chenier and Melvin Shipman each recorded two individual victories during a swim meet contested at the Goldsboro Family Y.
Upchurch emerged victorious in the 200 individual medley and 100 backstroke. Chenier touched the wall first in the 200 IM and 100 free. Shipman claimed the 100 back and 100 breaststroke.
Charles B. Aycock's Carrigan Chastain placed first in the 500 free.
The Warriors captured the team championship with 379 points, followed by New Bern (337), South Brunswick (220) and Southern Wayne (174). Aycock ended up 10th overall and Wayne Country Day finished 12th.
On the girls' side, South Brunswick had the top team score of 335 points. Surry Central took second at 317, followed by New Bern (241), Harnett Central (195) and Eastern Wayne (187).
The Golden Falcons were sixth, while Southern Wayne grabbed eighth. WCDS, a first-year program, settled for 11th.
Individual results were not available for Aycock, Southern Wayne and WCDS swimmers.
* Goldsboro boys 61, Kinston 53 -- Michael Sawyer, Adam Hobbs and Robert Washington each scored 16 points for the Cougars. Goldsboro (7-2) travels to Rocky Mount today.
* Greenwood boys 52, Brogden 43 -- Brandon McCarter led Greenwood with 15 points 15 rebounds and three assists. Shack Wright added 12 points and six assists and Tykwan Days had 11 points. Brogden's Moses Ramsey scored a game-high 24 points.
* Spring Creek boys 48, Grantham 42 -- Damarian Henderson finished with 14 points for Spring Creek. James Lancaster contributed 10 points and Travon Partas tallied nine. Keenan Winn led Grantham with 15 points and C.J. Cole had 14. Spring Creek (3-3, 1-2) hosts Brogden on Jan. 3.
* Mount Olive boys 55, Rosewood 33 -- Breyon Johnson had 11 points and Quintae Johnson chipped in 10 points to keep Mount Olive (6-0, 2-0) undefeated. Nathan Huyser finished with 14 points for Rosewood and Shane Whitley added 10.
* Spring Creek girls 32, Grantham 24 -- Talaya Lassiter paced Spring Creek (4-2) with 13 points. Ashley Parks added seven points and Janna Price pitched in six. Jamika Bowen scored a team-high 10 points for Grantham.
* Eastern Wayne girls 26, Dillard 18 -- Kaceia Exum led Eastern Wayne with 12 points. Divonnie Powell added six points. Shatoria Exum scored all 18 points for Dillard.
* Eastern Wayne boys 49, Dillard 28 -- T.Y. Brown emerged the Warriors' top scorer with 14 points. Javon Darden and Jalin Barnes contributed nine points apiece. Bass and Thompson paced Dillard with eight points apiece.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series