By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on December 21, 2007 1:48 PM
RALEIGH -- Wayne Country Day picked up a 61-45, non-conference victory over Western Harnett in the Word of God Christmas Invitational on Thursday.
Floronta Wynn led the Chargers with 19 points, while Reco McCarter added 15. Cameron Strickland ended the night with eight and David Wilson had seven.
Wayne Country Day (11-2 overall) is currently ranked fourth in the N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association Class 1-A poll and will face top-ranked Word of God Academy at 4 p.m. in today's semifinals.
Cougars fall at Fike
WILSON -- Goldsboro dropped a 59-46 decision at Wilson Fike on Thursday.
Tim Hobbs had 12 points for the Cougars and Jeremy Atkinson led the Demons with 19.
Goldsboro (6-5 overall) faces St. James (S.C.) at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday in the 7th Annual Holiday Classic at Lenoir Community College.
Warriors slip past NL
Eastern Wayne edged visiting North Lenoir 48-46 in non-conference play on Wednesday night.
Will White had 10 points for the Warriors, Rashid Williams contributed nine points Daviyon Whisonant and Cody Kirkham each scored eight and Colton Butler added six.
Tim Roberts finished with a game-high 15 points for the Hawks and Chris McPhail pitched in 10.
Rams go down
ROCKY MOUNT -- Greene Central suffered a 52-40 loss at Northern Nash on Thursday.
Shonice Pettaway had 11 points for the Rams, Shanna Parker tallied nine, Dominique Graham had seven and TeTe Pettaway added six.
Greene Central (1-10) will face Wilson Hunt in the Wilson Daily Times Classic on Wednesday.
* Clayton boys 60, Charles B. Aycock 47 -- Molonza Hayes scored 21 points for the Golden Falcons, Matt Woodard had 12 and RaJohn Ormond pitched in 11.
* Wilson Fike boys 58, Goldsboro 43 -- Robert Washington finished with a game-high 21 points for Goldsboro (5-4). A.J. Hines had 19 for Fike.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series