By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on January 8, 2008 3:30 PM
In its final test before conference play begins, Eastern Wayne prevailed at home 53-48 over West Craven on Monday night.
Jamir Thomas, Cody Kirkham and Daviyon Whisonant each scored 12 points for the Warriors (4-8). Will White pitched in nine points and Orlando Midgette had six.
Jimmy Gross led West Craven with 19 points.
Eastern Wayne begins Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play at rival Southern Wayne on Friday.
CALYPSO -- North Duplin cut a double-digit fourth quarter deficit to six with less than three minutes to play but couldn't close the gap in a 58-42 loss to visiting Hobbton on Monday night.
Chris Graham paced the Rebels attack with 15 points and nine rebounds and Ryan Killette added 12 points and eight rebounds. Ross Hunter led Hobbton with 19 points.
North Duplin (2-4 overall) hosts North Johnston on Friday.
EW routs West Craven
Eastern Wayne continued its dominance of non-conference opponents with a 62-18 rout of West Craven on Monday evening.
Brittani Billups finished with 25 points, 13 rebounds, six blocks, four steals and four assists. Tiarra McIntyre added 11 points. Eboni Reid pitched in nine and Lindsey Fredrick had seven.
The Warriors (10-2 overall) begin Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play at rival Southern Wayne on Friday.
CALYPSO -- Poise under pressure paid off for North Duplin on Monday in a 42-37 win over Hobbton.
The Rebels sank 14 of 19 free throws in the fourth quarter to help seal the win.
Jodie Williamson scored 15 points, Rebecca Coats added 12 and Jessica Pridgen had five.
"I was very proud of my girls' effort and toughness tonight," Rebels head coach Danny Blackburn said. "Hobbton is a very physical team and we responded very well. We didn't back down."
North Duplin (3-3 overall) entertains Carolina 1-A Conference foe North Johnston on Friday.
* SouthWest Edgecombe boys 32, Charles B. Aycock 28 -- Molonza Hayes had nine points for the Golden Falcons (1-10 overall) and Shepard Whitfield pulled down 11 rebounds.
* Norwayne girls 32, Mount Olive 28 -- Imari Howell led Norwayne (5-0 overall, 2-0) with 17 points, Conner Davis had eight and Courtnei Gilbert contributed five.
Danielle Carlton scored 17 points for Mount Olive.
* Greenwood girls 48, Eastern Wayne 8 -- Sarah Marcus finished with a game-high 19 points for Greenwood. The T-Birds (6-1 overall) host Grantham on Thursday.
* Rosewood girls 28, Brogden 25 -- Laura Vinson and Carie Jo Gurley each had 10 points for Rosewood (4-3 overall). Amanda Beckert added five points.
* Spring Creek girls 50, Dilalrd 23 -- Talaya Lassiter scored a game-high 20 points for Spring Creek and Ashley Parks had 13.
* Spring Creek boys 44, Dillard 38 -- Damerian Henderson tallied 10 points for Spring Creek and De'Shar Thomas and Travone Parks each had eight. Spring Creek (4-4 overall, 1-3) travels to Brogden on Monday.
*Greenwood boys 38, Eastern Wayne 28 -- Shaq Wright and Ocatvius Alston each finished with nine points for Greenwood. Tykwan Days added eight points and Brandon McCarter had 10 rebounds and four assists. Greenwood (5-1 overall) hosts Grantham on Thursday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series