By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on January 9, 2008 3:43 PM
SEVEN SPRINGS -- Courtland Jones' 3-pointer with 10 seconds left lifted Spring Creek to a 69-66, non-conference victory over Union on Tuesday night.
Sophomore Anthony Green recorded his first career double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds. Jones and Lucas Potter each tallied 12 points, Eugene Robinson had 11 and Terence Johnson scored seven.
Spring Creek (3-6 overall) beings Carolina 1-A Conference play at Princeton on Friday.
Eagles fall on road
DURHAM -- Joe Carey's basket with nine seconds left lifted Cresset Christian to a 50-48, Carolina Christian 1-A Conference win over Wayne Christian on Tuesday night.
The Eagles led 37-29 entering the fourth quarter but were outscored 21-11 during the final period, and Faith was whistled for 19 team fouls to just seven for Cresset.
Mount Olive College signee Eric Williams finished with a game-high 26 points and pulled down 15 rebounds. Colton Wood had nine points and four rebounds and Adam Brannan pitched in six points, nine assists and three rebounds.
Carey scored 17 points.
Wayne Christian (4-7 overall) hosts conference foe Norlina Christian for homecoming on Saturday.
WILSON -- A night after watching a 19 point lead disappear in a home loss, Charles B. Aycock fell 66-42 at Wilson Fike on Tuesday night.
Leonard Compton led the Golden Falcons with 14 points and Khendra Reid added 12.
Fike's Jeremy Atkinson led all scorers with 20 points.
Aycock (2-12 overall) begins Class 3-A Eastern Carolina Conference action at Wilson Beddingfield on Friday.
Conquerors fall short
Faith Christian dropped a N.C. Christian Schools Association Coastal Region 2-A contest 51-48 to visiting Bethel Christian on Tuesday evening.
Eric Powell scored 16 points for the Conquerors. Jeremy Sandlin, Taylor Stocks and Phillip Hardy each had eight.
Jacob Sutton finished with 14 points for Bethel.
Faith (8-4 overall) visits Coastal Region 2-A opponent Cornerstone on Thursday.
CBA has road woes
WILSON -- Charles B. Aycock found venturing away from home difficult in a 73-28 loss at Wilson Fike on Tuesday.
Chantel Gaines was the lone Golden Falcon to score in double figures with 13 points. Courtney Sheeks added five points.
Lindsay Orr led Fike with 20 points.
Aycock (1-13 overall) begins Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference play at Wilson Beddingfield on Friday.
SC suffers home loss
SEVEN SPRINGS -- Breakdowns on both ends of the floor including 15 turnovers hurt Spring Creek in a 55-43 home loss to Union on Tuesday.
Melenquie DeVeaux had 15 points and five rebounds for the Gators, Tasha Whitfield finished with 12 points and seven rebounds and Richelle Butler added nine points and four rebounds.
Spring Creek (2-7 overall) opens Carolina 1-A Conference play at Princeton on Friday.
WC goes down
DURHAM -- Wayne Christian dropped a 46-40 decision at Cresset Christian in Carolina Christian 1-A Conference play on Tuesday.
Hope Wright scored 11 points for the Eagles, Hanna Kaler pitched in 10 and Logan Dawson had eight.
The Eagles (5-5 overall, 2-2 CCC) host conference foe Norlina Christian on Saturday.
* Wilson Fike boys 65, Charles B. Aycock 56 (OT) -- A somewhat controversial buzzer beating 3-pointer helped Fike force overtime before eventually prevailing over the Golden Falcons. RaJohn Ormond led the Golden Falcons (1-11 overall) with 21 points and Molonza Hayes and Matt Woodard each scored 12.
* Wayne Christian boys 37, St. Mary's 29 -- Chase Darden led all scorers with 16 points and added five steals. Chandler Harrell finished with six points and Jacob Anderson had five points and five rebounds. The Eagles (5-0 overall, 4-0 CCC) host Bethel Christian on Thursday.
* St. Mary's girls 24, Wayne Christian 22, OT -- Wayne Christian was outscored 4-2 in the decisive overtime period in falling short at home. Brooke Barfield led the Eagles with eight points and Katie Isenhower added seven. Niki Fitzmorris and Meredith Burroughs had eight and seven rebounds respectively. Wayne Christian (2-3, 1-1 CCC) hosts Faith of Rocky Mount on Saturday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series