By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on January 11, 2008 1:48 PM
AHOSKIE -- Reco McCarter pumped in 25 points and Floronta Wynn added 15 during Wayne Country Day's 68-41, non-conference win over Ridgecroft.
The Chargers (13-4 overall) entertain Faith Christian-Rocky Mount today in the Class 1-A Coastal Plains Independent Conference opener for both teams.
FAYETTEVILLE -- Faith Christian picked up a 57-39 road win over N.C. Christian Schools Association Coastal Region 2-A foe Cornerstone Christian on Thursday.
Jeremy Sandlin scored 17 points, Taylor Stocks pitched in 13 and Austin Webber had 12 for the Conquerors. Taylor Bevins led Cornerstone with 16 points.
Faith (9-4) hosts Hilltop Christian tonight.
Gators post shutout
SEVEN SPRINGS -- Spring Creek triumphed in all seven contested matches and rolled past East Duplin 78-0 on Thursday evening.
The Gators (2-4 overall) received pins from Daniel Richter (112 pounds), Matt Richter (135), Monique Ford (140), Ryan McKay (145), Sebastian Jackson (152), Will Lowder (189) and 215-pounder Ross Montafia.
East Duplin forfeited six weight classes to Garrett Lewis (103), David Smith (119), Jacob Coronado (125), Alex Dunmire (160), Will McGinn (171) and heavyweight Josh Rodriguez.
Spring Creek returns to action Saturday in the Carolina 1-A Conference dual-team tournament at Rosewood. Matches begin at 10 a.m.
AHOSKIE -- Wayne Country Day won its third straight game with a 48-41 win at Ridgecroft on Thursday.
Bridgette Briggs led the Chargers with 20 points. Kathryn Ford finished with 11 points, 10 rebounds and eight assists and Brooke Norris had 11 points.
Ridgecroft's Hayes Bryant had a game-high 26 points.
Wayne Country Day (5-7) will entertain Faith Christian of Rocky Mount tonight.
* Wayne Christian girls 26, Spirit of Life 11 -- Charity Wright scored 10 points and pulled down four rebounds for the Eagles. Christina Foster added five points, Britney O'Hara had four points and seven rebounds and Kayla Kennedy tallied three points and two assists. Wayne Christian (6-3, 2-2 CCC) hosts Wilson Christian on Saturday.
* Ridgecroft girls 16, Wayne Country Day 13 -- Kim Martell had eight points, Sterling Coggins added three and Sarah Best tallied two for the Eagles (2-4).
* Greenwood boys 49, Grantham 26 -- Greenwood's Shaq Wright led all scorers with 14 points and Tykwan Days had 10 points and six assists. Andre Robinson and Octavius Alston each added eight points and five rebounds. Keenan Wynn led Grantham with 11 points. Greenwood (6-1) will host Norwayne on Monday.
* Mount Olive boys 54, Brogden 38 -- Mount Olive won its ninth consecutive game behind a double-double 16 points and 13 rebounds from Devonte Artis. Breyon Johnson scored 10 points and Jamiel Price added nine. Antonio Deans and Marvin Miller each had 11 points for Brogden. Mount Olive (9-0, 4-0) hosts Grantham on Monday.
* Bethel Christian boys 42, Wayne Christian 38 -- Chase Darden led the Eagles with 12 points and Josiah Davis had 11 points and 19 rebounds. Chandler Harrell added nine points and 13 rebounds. Quint Abbott scored 14 points for Bethel. Wayne Christian (9-1, 4-0) hosts Faith of Rocky Mount on Saturday.
* Norwayne girls 36, Eastern Wayne 12 -- Imari Howell tallied 15 points for Norwayne and Jenna Van Horn, Connor Davis and Natana Martin each scored four. Kaceia Exum had six points for Eastern Wayne. Norwayne (7-0, 3-0) visits Greenwood on Monday.
* Dillard girls 26, Rosewood 12 -- Kasheika Wallace scored 12 points for Dillard (2-6, 1-2) and Shatoria Exum had eight.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series