By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on January 23, 2008 4:08 PM
Keovanta McDuffie scored a game-high 38 points and Goldsboro survived another shootout, this time downing North Pitt 100-98 in a Class 2-A Eastern Plains Conference game.
Tavon Murchinson supplied 17 points for the Cougars. Demetrio Irby tallied 14 and Aric Sinclair added 12.
Goldsboro (11-6, 3-0 EPC) visits North Lenoir on Friday.
PHS survives tune up
KENLY -- With a battle for first place in the Carolina 1-A Conference looming in the distance, Princeton took care of business with a 45-42 win at North Johnston on Tuesday.
Ryan Daughtry paced the Bulldogs (14-3 overall, 3-0 CC) with 18 points, Josh Barefoot scored nine and Will Gainey and Michael Radford each had six.
Princeton will host Ayden-Grifton on Friday night with first place in the conference on the line.
Tough night for CBA
WILSON -- Charles B. Aycock tried multiple defenses but failed to find a way to slow down sharp shooting Wilson Hunt in a 77-58 road loss on Tuesday night.
Khendra Reid scored 19 points for the Golden Falcons (3-14, 1-2 ECC), Jonathan Williams had 10 and Tyheim Pitt added eight.
Aycock hosts Southern Wayne on Friday.
Rebels lose big
AYDEN -- North Duplin's struggles continued with a lopsided 68-31 Carolina 1-A Conference loss at Ayden-Grifton on Tuesday.
The Rebels (2-7, 0-3 CC) were outscored 35-8 in the first half and never recovered.
Chris Graham scored 15 points for North Duplin. Victor Howell and Steffen McGhee each had 14 for Ayden-Grifton.
North Duplin hosts Rosewood on Friday.
Faith falls short
Neuse Christian handed Faith Christian a 70-64 loss on Tuesday night.
Jeremy Sandlin scored 20 points for the Conquerors, Taylor Stocks contributed 17 and Eric Powell and Brad Floars each had seven points.
Neuse's Travis Harris led all scorers with 32 points.
Faith (10-6) hosts Victory Christian on Friday.
Cougars knock off NP
Goldsboro moved to 2-1 in Eastern Plains 2-A Conference play with a 52-41 win over visiting North Pitt on Tuesday night.
Ki'ana Williams turned in a 16 point, 5 rebound, four assist effort for the Cougars, Millicent Kornegay added 12 points and nine rebounds and Ziara McDuffie had nine points, seven rebounds and four steals.
The Cougars surrendered just five points in the third quarter and didn't fold when North Pitt trimmed the lead to single digits early in the fourth.
"We gave a pretty defensive effort," Goldsboro head coach Brandy Smith said. "Going into third quarter we came out on fire," Smith said. "We showed a lot of composure and poise in the fourth quarter when the lead got cut to nine."
Streak alive for WCD
Wayne Country Day won its seventh straight game with a 67-36 home rout of Greenfield on Tuesday evening.
Bridgette Briggs scored uncontested layups all night and led all scorers with 22 points. Brooke Norris added 18 points and Kim Martell had eight.
The Chargers (9-7, 3-0 CPIC) entertain Oakwood on Friday.
Eagles down SC
Rosewood earned its first Carolina 1-A Conference win of the season on Tuesday knocking off visiting Spring Creek 43-29.
Haile Meadows had 19 for the Eagles and Shantal Johnson and Misha Chester each added eight.
Rosewood (5-9, 1-2 CC) travel to North Duplin on Friday.
TARBORO -- Greene Central suffered a 44-24 loss at Tarboro on Tuesday.
Dominique Graham scored eight points for the Rams (2-14, 1-2 EPC), Brittane Jones supplied seven and Tia Jones had four.
Greene Central hosts conference foe North Pitt on Friday.
AYDEN -- North Duplin's search for its first Class 1-A Carolina Conference win of the season came up empty in a 57-27 loss at Ayden-Grifton on Tuesday evening.
Jodie Williamson finished with 11 points for the Rebels (3-6, 0-3 CC), Heather Hudson added six and Samantha Cates pitched in five.
North Duplin hosts conference foe Rosewood on Friday.
Faith earns win
Three Conquerors scored in double-figures and Faith Christian picked up a 44-29 win over Neuse Christian on Tuesday.
Madison Caudle had a double-double 15 points and 13 rebounds and Lindsey Godwin and Alyssa Hill each scored 11 points. Rebecca Smith added five points and seven rebounds.
Faith (8-5, 6-2) hosts Victory Christian for Homecoming on Friday.
* Goldsboro boys 55, North Pitt 49 -- Resean Brewington scored a game-high 13 points, Jonathan Sinclair added 12 and Devonte White pitched in eight for Goldsboro (8-4, 3-0 EPC).
* Eastern Wayne boys 62, Beddingfield 56 -- John Midgette led the Warriors (12-2, 2-1 ECC) with 12 points, and Jamal Brody and Danny Smith each had nine points. Lamar Best added eight.
* Wilson Hunt boys 54, C.B. Aycock 50 -- Molonza Hayes and Matt Woodard scored 16 points apiece for the Golden Falcons. Aycock (2-13 overall) fell to 1-2 in the Eastern Carolina Conference, and entertains Southern Wayne on Friday.
* Wayne Country Day boys 74, Greenfield 72, 2 OT's -- Hil Tanner finished with 20 points, Tanner Pate added 15 and Stoan Stewart and Cameron Ford each scored 14 as Wayne Country Day (15-1, 4-0 CPIC) outlasted Greenfield in double overtime.
* North Pitt boys 62, Goldsboro 51 -- Michael Sawyer led the Cougars with 18 points, Adan Hobbs added 17 and Tyree Boseman chipped in 10.
* Wayne Christian boys 36, Cresset Christian 34 -- Josiah Davis tallied 15 points, Chase Darden added eight and Chandler Harrell pitched in eight for Wayne Christian. The Eagles (12-1, 4-0 CC) host Johnston Christian on Thursday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series