Warrior grapplers end up 4-1
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on January 28, 2008 1:48 PM
LOUISBURG -- The Eastern Wayne wrestling team compiled a 4-1 record during a five-team meet contested Saturday at Louisburg.
The Warriors defeated Franklinton (54-15), Edenton Holmes (41-30), Louisburg (45-27) and Southern Vance (39-32) before falling to perennial Class 1-A power Topsail 55-19.
Sophomore Drew Tesar picked up five wins without a loss, while Chris Tesar, Tyler Wicks and Foy Coley each concluded the day 4-0. Jordan Harris and Brandon Darby ended up 4-1, while Jonathan Lagrone produced a 3-2 record.
Lagrone and Wicks notched three pins apiece. Harris, Chris Tesar, Darby, Britt and Coley each collected two pins. Overall, the Warriors amassed 19 total falls in five dual matches.
Tesar, a senior, continues to inch closer to 200 wins in his illustrious career. The three-time state qualifier is favored to win the 125-pound state title.
Eastern Wayne (13-9 overall) also received individual victories from Zach Hahn, William Britt and A.J. Washington.
The Warriors return to action Wednesday at archrival Charles B. Aycock. The teams have already qualified for the N.C. High School Athletic Association 3-A dual-team playoffs, which begin Feb. 5.
Match time is 7 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series