By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on February 5, 2008 2:36 PM
Trailing by five points with less than 21/2 minutes to play Wayne Christian rallied for a 39-36 senior night win over Class 1-A Carolina Christian Conference foe Trinity Christian of Raleigh on Monday.
The Eagles (8-9 overall, 4-6 CCC) closed the game on an 8-0 run including Colton Wood's free throws with eight seconds remaining that helped preserve the victory.
Eric Williams recorded a double-double with 21 points and 14 rebounds to go along with three steals and three blocks. Matt Davis pitched in eight points and three rebounds. Shea Glaesman had seven points and eight rebounds.
Wayne Christian concludes regular-season play Thursday at Cape Fear Christian.
Six straight for WCS
After starting the season 5-5, Wayne Christian rattled off its sixth straight victory on Monday with a 47-35 win over Heritage Christian Academy.
Playing their final home games, seniors Hope Wright and Brittany Sullivan each scored nine points apiece. Wright added 14 rebounds and two blocks.
Charity Wright supplied nine points and 10 rebounds. Hanna Kaler had eight points and 10 rebounds.
The Eagles (11-5 overall, 5-2 CCC) travel to Cape Fear Christian on Thursday.
* Wayne Christian boys 46, Cape Fear Christian 24 -- Chase Darden scored 20 points and Chandler Harrell added 14 to lead the Eagles to victory. Josiah Davis tallied nine points and pulled down 18 rebounds. Wayne Christian (14-4, 4-2 CCC) will host a playoff game against an undetermined opponent on Thursday.
* Greenwood boys 46, Dillard 29 -- Shaq Wright supplied 11 points and Octavius Alston and Tykwan Days each had eight for Greenwood. Alston grabbed 12 rebounds and had two blocks. Greenwood (10-2) will host Spring Creek on Thursday.
* Mount Olive boys 53, Spring Creek 44 -- Juan Pearsall finished with 11 points and Lavernon Pemberton netted 10 as Mount Olive (14-0, 7-0) remained undefeated. Mount Olive hosts Eastern Wayne on Thursday.
* Wayne Christian girls 39, Cape Fear Christian 16 -- A 21-7 run was all Wayne Christian (7-6, 3-0 CCC) needed to cruise to a road win. Brooke Barfield paced the Eagles with 11 points, Meredith Burroughs had eight and Victoria Combs tacked on five. Wayne Christian hosts Cape Fear on Friday with the Carolina Christian 1-A Conference title on the line.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series