By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on February 8, 2008 3:00 PM
IRWIN -- Any hopes Wayne Christian had of entering next week's Carolina 1-A Christian tournament on the heels of a victory were dashed in a 67-60 loss at Cape Fear Christian on Thursday.
Eric Williams scored 30 points and pulled down 17 rebounds for the Eagles. Matt Davis pitched in 11 points and Justin Brathwaite and Colton Wood each had six points.
Wayne Christian (7-9, 4-7 CC) begins conference tournament play on Monday at Cresset Christian.
IRWIN -- Wayne Christian dropped a 51-48 decision at Cape Fear Christian on Thursday.
Brittany Sullivan had 16 points for the Eagles (11-6, 5-3 CC).
Jennifer Price had 14 points and seven rebounds and Hope Wright tallied eight points and 12 rebounds.
Wayne Christian will host Community Christian on Monday in a first-round, CCC tournament game.
* Wayne Christian girls 39, Cape Fear Christian 30 -- Carley Hightower scored 17 points and Charity Wright recorded a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds as Wayne Christian won its sixth straight game. Devan Isenhower and Kayla Kennedy each scored six points. The Eagles (11-3, 4-2 CC) host Cape Fear on Tuesday in the first round of the Carolina Christian 1-A Conference tournament.
* Dillard girls 46, Grantham 23 -- Shatoria Exum paced Dillard with 23 points, Kasheika Wallace had 12 and Cherisse White supplied 10. Andrel Morris led Grantham with 12 points and Madison Davis tallied seven. Dillard (4-9, 2-3) wraps up its season on Monday at Rosewood.
* Mount Olive boys 67, Eastern Wayne 54 -- Breyon Johnson came off the bench to finish with a game-high 19 points and Mount Olive won its school record 15th straight game on Thursday. Drummont Britton added 14 points. Jalin Barnes paced Eastern Wayne with 15 points. Mount Olive (15-0, 7-0) concludes its season on Monday at Brogden.
* Greenwood boys 59, Spring Creek 33 -- Tykwan Days and Octavius Alston each scored 12 points for Greenwood, Shaq Wright contributed 10 and Brandon McCarter had eight. McCarter also pulled down 15 rebounds and blocked 10 shots. Greenwood (11-2) will conclude its season Monday at Grantham.
* Rosewood boys 53, Norwayne 35 -- Nathan Huyser had 16 points, Zach Thornton scored nine and Dee Mabry supplied eight as Rosewood clinched a share of the Division I Conference title. Rosewood (7-6, 4-1) will host Dillard on Monday with the winner earning the conference championship outright.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series