Wayne Christian boys eliminated, but girls advance in CCC tourney
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on February 12, 2008 3:00 PM
DURHAM -- Cresset Christian used a pair of late turnovers to defeat Wayne Christian 57-45 in the opening round of the Class 1-A Carolina Christian Conference boys basketball tournament Monday.
The Eagles pulled within two points at the 2-minute, 20-second mark. But Cresset pulled away down the stretch.
Senior Eric Williams led Wayne Christian with 19 points, 12 rebounds and four assists. Matt Davis chipped in nine points and four rebounds, while Shae Glaesman added four points and eight boards.
The Eagles concluded the year 8-11 overall.
Wayne Christian rolled past Community Christian 53-16 in their opening-round, Carolina Christian 1-A Conference tournament game Monday.
Brittany Sullivan led the Eagles on the offensive end with 12 points to go along with three assists. Hanna Kaler added nine points for the victors and also grabbed a team-high 10 rebounds. Hope Wright also scored nine points for the victors.
The Eagles (12-6 overall) entertain Crossroads Christian for a semifinal-round game Thursday.
* Greenwood boys 45, Grantham 24 -- Shaq Wright tossed in 12 points for Greenwood as they rolled passed Grantham. Andre Robinson added seven points to go with 11 rebounds for the victors. Greenwood concluded the year 12-2 overall.
* Mount Olive boys 58, Brogden 41 -- Mount Olive's Breyon Johnson netted a game-high 24 points, including an 8 for 8 stretch at the foul line. Ronell Outlaw paced Brogden with 18 points. Mount Olive claimed its 16th consecutive victory.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series