By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on February 15, 2008 2:41 PM
DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne got all it wanted and then some from Charles B. Aycock on Thursday.
Behind a career-high 39 points from Chantel Gaines, Aycock pushed the Saints for four quarters before falling 67-62 in the Class 3-A Eastern Carolina Conference regular-season finale for both teams.
With the Golden Falcons trailing 64-62 with 31 seconds to play Gaines shot was off the mark but Paige Garrett was there to grab the rebound and give Aycock new life. However, Southern Wayne (14-9, 6-4 ECC) forced a turnover and hung on for a senior night win.
Lynnesha Leonard paced the Saints with 28 points and Shakoria Clark had 16.
Both teams will participate in the Class 3-A Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference tournament which begins next week.
Wayne Christian defeated top-seeded Crossroads Christian 66-62 in triple overtime in the semifinals of the Carolina Christian 1-A Conference tournament on Thursday.
Hope Wright recorded a double-double with 22 points and 20 rebounds to go with three blocked shots. Brittany Sullivan contributed 12 points and three assists and three steals. Charity Wright had 11 points and 10 rebounds.
The Eagles (13-6 overall) will host Cape Fear Christian in the tournament finals tonight.
* Eastern Wayne girls 60, Kinston 38 -- Cathy Benjamin led the way with 13 points as Eastern Wayne (15-2 overall) concluded the year with 5-1 Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference worksheet. Janielle Daniel had nine points and Mauriel Baker, Sedonia Scott and Morgan Smith each scored five points.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series