By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on February 27, 2008 2:24 PM
CERRO GORDO -- Rosewood's season and the high school basketball careers of five seniors all came to a close with a 74-41 loss at West Columbus in the first round of the N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 1-A sectional playoffs on Tuesday.
Senior Tyler Muntz led the Eagles (9-15) with 13 points and fellow senior Holt Rains added 10. Stephen McIntyre, Taylor Allen and Sean Cornman also played their final games in a Rosewood uniform.
The Vikings led 30-25 at the half, but outscored the Eagles 20-9 in the third quarter to take control.
WINTERVILLE -- Sasha Holeman tallied three goals and North Lenoir turned back South Central 4-0 in the season opener for both teams.
Lindsay Fulton also scored for the Hawks. Megan Johnson and Amie Heath combined for a shutout in goal.
GIBSONVILLE -- Goldsboro gave it everything it had Monday, but Eastern Guilford escaped 81-72 in double overtime of their first-round, N.C. High School Athletic Association 2-A sectional playoff game.
Millicent Kornegay led the Cougars with 17 points and 12 rebounds. Ki'ana Williams netted 13 points, dished out 13 assists and collected three steals.
Goldsboro finished the year 11-14.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series