Barton's Burke takes conference honor
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on March 2, 2008 2:01 AM
THOMASVILLE -- Former Charles B. Aycock standout Jon Burke, now a junior at Barton College, has been named the Conference Carolinas men's golfer of the month.
Burke grabbed the opening-round lead at the Pfeiffer/Old North State Invitational with a 3-under 69. He carded nine birdies and made the turn at 6-under 30.
However, Burke fired a 79 on the second day in 30-mph winds. He ended up tied for second at 4-over 148 among individuals and helped the Bulldogs place third overall in the 12-team field.
Burke has a stroke average of 74.0 through 12 rounds this season.
Barton is ranked 25th nationally in the Golf World/Nike Coaches poll.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series