Local Sports Digest
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 3, 2008 1:48 PM
From staff reports
PRINCETON -- Benton Myers drilled a third-inning, two-run homer as Princeton dropped its 2008 season-opening game, 14-6 to West Johnston on Saturday afternoon.
Myers finished the day 2-for-3 with two RBI. Teammate Cameron Harrison added two hits, including a double, in three at-bats.
The Dawgs, the defending N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 1-A champions, pitched by committee against their county foe. Chris Hinton started and endured the loss in one-plus innings of work.
Ryan Daughtry, Adam Peedin, Harrison and Patrick Jacobs also saw action on the mound. Harrison had the longest stint, while Jacobs emerged the lone pitcher to not surrender any runs.
The quintet combined to walk 11 batters and yielded seven extra-base hits, including two home runs. West Johnston collected 11 hits overall.
Princeton (0-1 overall) visits C.B. Aycock today.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series