By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 7, 2008 2:33 PM
DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne put up four runs in the bottom half of the first inning and cruised to a 9-2 victory over North Johnston on Thursday.
Tyler Edwards had an RBI double and a triple. Jordan Williams added a pair of base hits and two RBI, Cody Davis chipped in two hits and three RBI and Ricky Oddon had two hits.
Will Broadwell earned the win allowing two runs over 4 2/3 innings on four hits while striking out one and walking two.
The Saints (3-1 overall) visit West Craven today.
N. Lenoir rolls
KINSTON -- North Lenoir remained unbeaten with a 22-0 pounding of Kinston on Thursday.
John Alphin and Bryce Grady each had three hits for the Hawks. Tyler Potter, Mike Wetherington, C.C. Croom, Carter Capps and Brandon Whitehurst all had two hits apiece.
Alphin worked four scoreless innings allowing just one hit to go with three strikeouts and no walks. Capps also pitched an inning of no-hit relief.
North Lenoir (3-0 overall) visits Charles B. Aycock on Wednesday. The Hawks defeated the Golden Falcons 7-3 earlier this week in LaGrange.
Conquerors win big
FAYETTEVILLE -- Jay Henson recorded 13 strikeouts and Faith Christian used a six-run sixth inning to rout Cornerstone Christian 13-2 on Thursday.
Jeremy Sandlin, Silas Denlinger and Henson each had three hits for the Conquerors in their season opener.
Faith (1-0 overall) visits Berean Academy on Tuesday.
Gators tripped up
SEVEN SPRINGS -- Spring Creek pounded out nine hits but it wasn't enough as the Gators fell 6-4 to visiting South Lenoir on Thursday.
Timmy Rogers had two hits and an RBI, Adam Hinson added a double and Paul Hayes pitched in a two-run base hit. Alex Casey took the loss for Spring Creek striking out seven and walking three in five innings of work.
The Gators (2-2 overall) host Greene Central on Tuesday.
Rebels drop opener
CLINTON -- Union pushed across a run in the bottom of the eighth and handed North Duplin a season-opening 3-2 loss in extra innings on Thursday.
Brad Rhodes had a pair of hits and a run scored for the Rebels and Billy Mello added a hit and a pair of walks.
Doug Lloyd allowed two runs on seven hits over seven innings of work and struck out 10 while walking three. Brian Chase allowed a run in a one-third of an inning of relief.
North Duplin (0-1 overall) travels to Lakewood on Friday.
Eagles fall on road
FARMVILLE -- Rosewood suffered a 4-0 loss at Farmville Central on Thursday.
Steven Bostic had the Eagles lone hit.
Taylor Allen was saddled with the loss for Rosewood allowing four runs (one earned) on three hits to go with three strikeouts and one walk. The Eagles committed five errors.
Rosewood (1-1) travels to Midway today.
CBA tops NL
PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock pushed across a combined five runs in the final two innings to break open a tight ballgame and down North Lenoir 8-0 on Thursday.
Torie Benton, Leigh Smith, Ashley Shingleton and Brittany Ford each had two hits for the Golden Falcons. Stevie Savage, Cara Frederick and Anna Sullivan all added base hits.
Kendall Letchworth, Courtney Hill, Kristen Davenport and Nicole Howard each had hits for North Lenoir.
Emily Jordan pitched six scoreless innings for Aycock.
The Golden Falcons (4-0 overall) visit Clayton today. The Hawks (1-2) play host New Bern on Monday.
FAYETTEVILLE -- Faith Christian opened its season with an 11-0 win at Cornerstone Christian on Thursday.
Jennifer Christopher struck out nine and allowed just two walks and Brooke Anderson had two hits for the Conquerors.
Faith (1-0) visits Trinity Christian on Thursday.
SNOW HILL -- Greene Central held on to defeat Kinston 3-2 on Wednesday.
Jessica Moore tossed a complete game for the Rams allowing two runs on three hits to go with eight strikeouts and one walk. Megan Lovett went 1 for 2 at the plate with three RBI.
Greene Central (2-1) visits Ayden-Grifton today.
Aycock pounds Hawks
PIKEVILLE -- Charles B. Aycock lost just six sets all afternoon and breezed past North Lenoir 9-0 on Thursday.
Blake Vail, Addison Westbrook, Blake Cooper, Ben Evans, Ben Michaels and Dylan Quinn were all singles winners for the Golden Falcons.
Aycock improved to 2-0 overall.
Warriors sweep meet
KINSTON -- Eastern Wayne record a team score of 91 to defeat Southern Wayne, Goldsboro and Kinston on Thursday.
Southern Wayne finished in second with a team score of 54, while Goldsboro (50) and Kinston (42) rounded out the scoring.
Will White earned first place in the 110 meter hurdles with a time of 15.93 seconds. Dwight Ulmer finished first in the 100 meter dash in a time of 10.71.
The Warriors also finished first in the 800-meter relay in a time of 1:37.80. Eastern Wayne's Tim Wright used a time of 5:27 to finish first in the mile and the Warriors took home first in the 400-meter relay with a time of 46:14.
Wright (800 meters), White (200 meters), Kenyatta Brant (long jump), Cody Kirkham (triple jump) and Chris Jones (high jump) were also winners for Eastern Wayne.
First names for individual event winners from Goldsboro, Southern Wayne and Kinston were not provided.
* South Central baseball 6, Eastern Wayne 6, 9 innings -- Robert Faucette's two-run homer helped send the game into extra innings but it wasn't enough for the Warriors. Adron Hollowell had a two-run triple and also pitched six innings. Zach Beachem also tossed three innings for Eastern Wayne.
* Eastern Wayne softball 16, Mount Olive 6 -- Stephanie Smith and Haley Ginn each had two hits for Eastern Wayne and Erica Lee added a grand slam. Smith picked up the win on the mound. Eastern Wayne (2-0 overall) visits Brogden on Monday.
* Spring Creek softball 16, Greenwood 7 -- Katlyn Casey, Lori Pigford and Jamie Price each scored three runs for Spring Creek. Ashley Parks added four runs scored.
* Spring Creek baseball 25, Greenwood 1 -- Corey Howell went 3-for-3 with a homer for Spring Creek. Howell also pitched three innings striking out eight and allowing just one hit to earn the win. Zach Harrell finished 3-for-4 with a double and Cody Boozer added a pair of hits. Spring Creek hosts Mount Olive on Monday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series