Trojans hold on to number one ranking
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on March 18, 2008 1:52 PM
MOUNT OLIVE -- Still No. 1.
Despite seeing Bryant (R.I.) University snap its 23-game win streak nearly a week ago, Mount Olive remained atop the Collegiate Baseball and Ping Baseball Division II top 30 baseball polls.
The Trojans (28-2 overall) triumphed in six of seven games last week, including four victories over in-state Conference Carolinas foes Pfeiffer and Barton College.
Mount Olive came within two victories of matching its all-time longest win streak of 25 games set in 1999. Coach Carl Lancaster's team, after splitting a season-opening series with Tusculum (Tenn.), is 26-1 in its last 27 outings.
The Trojans entertain Shepherd (W. Va.) University for a two-game, non-conference series today and Wednesday. Each contest begins at 6 p.m.
Mount Olive resumes its conference schedule Friday at Limestone (S.C.) University. The teams will play a doubleheader and then a single game Saturday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series